John Armitage on Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:43:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] _Living With Cyberspace: Technology & Society in the 21st Centu ry_.

Hi all
A blatant bit of pre-publication marketing:

The text below is almost certainly the final back cover blurb for a book
Joanne Roberts and I have just finished editing entitled:

 _Living With Cyberspace: Technology & Society in the 21st Century_.

The book is aimed at 2/3rd year undergraduates in the USA, UK and Australia
mainly.

The rest of the blurb is, I hope, self-explanatory.

I have placed the ISBN's and UK price below.

The book is due out in August this year -- it is already in the production
process so it may be published earlier.

Joanne and I would be grateful if folks would spread the word a little
about the book across other e-lists etc.

Additionally, we are keen to hear from anyone connected with  relevant
editorial boards/journals etc.. We would like to get the book reviewed here
and there. If anyone wants to send Joanne or myself their email/or the
address of the journal, we will pass it on to our senior editor at Continuum
and try to get a review copy sent to you.

Best wishes

John & Joanne

 LIVING WITH CYBERSPACE: TECHNOLOGY & SOCIETY IN THE 21ST CENTURY
 Edited by John Armitage & Joanne Roberts

 Cyberspace and cybertechnology have impacted on every aspect of our lives.
 Western society, culture, politics and economics are now all intricately
 bound with cyberspace. Living With Cyberspace brings together the leading
 cyber-theorists of North America, Britain and Australia to map the present
 and the future of cyberspace.

 Presenting a guidebook to our new world, both the theory and the practice,
 Living With Cyberspace covers subjects as diverse as androids, biotech,
 electronic commerce, the acceleration of everyday life, access to
 information, the alliance between the military and the entertainment
 industries, feminism, democratic practice and human consciousness itself.

 Together, the essays - divided into separately introduced sections on
 society, culture, politics and economics - present a systematic and
 state-of-the-art overview of technology and society in the 21st Century.

 Contributors: John Armitage, Verena Andermatt Conley, James Der Derian,
 William H.Dutton, Phil Graham, Tim Jordan, Wan-Ying Ling, David Lyon, Ian
 Miles, Joanne Roberts, Saskia Sassen, Cathryn Vasseleu, McKenzie Wark,
Frank
 Webster

 Editors: John Armitage is Head of Multidisciplinary Studies at the
 University of Northumbria at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK and Joanne Roberts is
 Lecturer in International Business at the University of Durham, UK.

 ISBN: (HBK) 0 8264 6035 6 (£55.00)
 ISBN: (PBK) 0 8264 6036 4 (£14.99).

 Published August 2002.

 The Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd
 Philosophy and Social Theory
 The Tower Building
 11 York Road
 London SE 1 7NX