John Horvath on Fri, 5 Jul 2002 23:16:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] how to fight against TCPA, CPRM etc.

There are many reasons why attempts to control the use and dissemination
of information (be it audio, visual, or whatever) is bound to fail. One
is because it's assumed that we will always buy new computers every
other year or so. Nothing wrong with picking up an old 486 or Pentium I;
maybe not as fast and can't do "as much", but then again, much of what
we use computers for is superfluous anyway. Not only that, older
machines are cheaper, if not free. After all, how did we ever
communicate before? Not only that, the surest way to fight against the
corporatist state is through the bottom line; as soon as it doesn't
become profitable, attitudes will change.

John