wade tillett on Mon, 29 Jul 2002 22:12:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> how to defeat activism

The ghost-dance is only the modern delusion of identity within the
imploding nihilistic space of colonization. A space which colonizes
and commodifies this delusion. A space which is this delusion, (i.e.
Baudrillard's simulacra) the all-consuming image.
We dance, as we are already ghosts.
"The rest is silence."

This is all true, I suppose:

 The spasms of the dying fish,
repackaged as excitement and virtue within the experience economy.

Critiques of identity and modes of consumption stem from the loss
of any non-colonized space or production. The critique being the final
colonization, the particulate colonization. The ideal bio-power
facilitated by the self-analysis of the consumer, and finally, of the
mode
of living.

The artist is a traitor. The artist's expeditions mark, claim,
commodify, create territories for expansion. The artist runs ahead as
the forests are cleared, marking the trees, explaining - these are the
ones to be saved....

Commodity dissent, nothing exists outside the commodity.

Identity psychology, the self is trapped in space by its form.
We dance only to become ghosts.
Some even say we dance, as we are already ghosts
- but this is incorrect.
We dance, as we are not yet ghosts.