April on Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:18:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] MS Office Tips 11-19-2002 [ Stop Wrappin' + Never Lose Excel Work Again! ]

Title: MS Office Tips & Tricks

Useful Links

Message Board
Subscribe
Software Store
Computer Terms

Guides

Windows Shortcuts
Downloading
E-mail
Virus Guide
Digital Cameras
Emoticons :-)
Internet Errors
Software Install
File Sizes
Image Formats

Amazing Software Deals!

Compton's Complete Multimedia Bible
A journey of sight, sound, and inspiration!

Only $12.95!

Random House Webster's Dictionary
The right word every time!

Only $12.97!

Home Depot 1-2-3
Your ultimate interactive power tool!

Only $16.97!

McAfee Virus Scan with Firewall
No computer should be without this protection!

Only $12.97!

Norton Internet Security 2002
Essential Internet protection!

Only $18.97!

MasterClips 500,000
The ultimate award-winning digital collection of clip art!

Only $12.97!

American Greetings CreataCard Platinum 6
Create greeting cards that are as unique as you!

Only $24.97!

Don't forget to
check out the
Bargain Bin!

Click here now!

Announcements

Christmas Shopping?

If so, you'll be glad to hear that we're bringing back our "Buy 3 or more titles and get 15% off" deal. This sale has been so popular in the past we've decided to run it from now through Dec 20th!

We want you to do your Christmas shopping with us!

As if that weren't enough, we are extending our 30 day return policy through Jan. 31st, 2003! So, if you buy something for a gift, you don't have to worry about not being able to return it to us! Your recipient has over a month to give it a try!

Ready to shop? Head to:

http://www.worldstart.com/store/index.htm

Also, be sure to check out our bargain bin ($3.97-$7.97 items):

http://www.worldstart.com/store/bargainbin.htm

And our new titles:

http://www.worldstart.com/store/newtitles.htm

Happy Shopping!

MS Office 101

Temporarily Stopping The Word Wrap

Have you ever had a phrase, date, title or some other group of word that you don't want MS Word to split apart when it wraps around to the next line?

You know, for example, the annoying month and date on one line and the year on the next. (Looks bad, hard to read and really annoying.)

So, what do you do? Hit the enter key in the middle of a paragraph? Or worse yet, the space bar?

I hope not. That will cause all kinds of trouble every time you edit the document. You'll be forever adding and removing that manual break with every addition or deletion of words in the paragraph. This is not the most efficient way to go.

Instead, as you're typing the words use Ctrl+Shift+Space Bar.

The words on either side of a space put in this way will stay together. If they don't all fit on the first line, then all words will be put on the next line.

Now if only it were so easy to keep other things in life together…or at least to fix the broken things.

Office Tip of the Day

Never Loose All Your New Excel Work Again

Ever have the power go out while you were in the middle of something big?

Or, and I know we've all had this happen, you're happily working along and the system or program crashes, almost always booting you out without ever having an option of saving your work.

How many times did you loose data in Excel because you didn't remembered to save frequently?

Would you like to reduce the amount of lost data? (Now I know the answer here is yes - who wouldn't want to reduce the amount of lost data?)

Well, what we need to do is to turn on your AutoSave feature.

AutoSave is an Add-in feature of MS Excel that can be set to save your workbooks at whatever interval you set. (For example, you could set it to save all open workbooks every 10 minutes or only the active workbook every 15 minutes. It's all up to you.)

But the big question here is how to turn on the AutoSave feature.

To begin with you'll need to load the AutoSave add-in.

Go to the Tools menu, Add-Ins choice.

From the Add-ins in the available list, you'll need to locate and then check AutoSave.

**Note: If the AutoSave add-in isn't listed then you may need to install it from the original Office CD. You can ask the online office assistant for help with the installation - try the phrase "Install or remove office components."

At any rate, once you've located and checked AutoSave in the add-in list, click OK.

Now that you have the AutoSave feature turned on, we need set our preferred rules for the AutoSave's behavior.

Go to the Tools menu again. This time you should see the AutoSave choice in the list.

Once you've chosen AutoSave from the list, you should get the AutoSave window.

In this window you can select what will be saved and how often.

The first line allows you to set how often Excel will save your files. Make sure the box is checked and set the number in the minute box to your preference.

The Save Options section allows you to decide what is saved, the active worksheet or all open worksheets. It's all up to you.

The bottom box should be checked if you want Excel to prompt you every time it AutoSaves. Checking this gives you the option of not overwriting the original file as you make changes (just in case you want to revert to the original instead of keeping the changes) but can be annoying if your time interval is a short one.

Of course, if you want to keep the original file - just in case - then I would make a copy of the file before begriming. This prevents the AutoSave from being able to overwrite the original data. Once again - it's all up to you!

When you've made all your choices, click OK.

You'll be returned to your worksheet where you can work to your heart's content - minus the lost data concerns.

Here's to worry-free data crunching! (Ok, maybe not worry-free, but at least a little less worry…)

~ April

Copyright & Disclaimer

ISSN: 1529-336X
Copyright 2001, WorldStart. All unauthorized reproduction strictly prohibited.

You are welcome to reproduce this newsletter (i.e. print it, store it) for your own personal use. You are also welcome to forward it, in its entirety, to friends and family.

If you would like to reproduce this publication, or any part of it, in any other publication, be it web based or otherwise, you must contact us for permission. Any unauthorized re-distribution will be considered a copyright infringement and grounds
for a lawsuit.

Finally, you agree to try any advice contained or suggested in this newsletter at your own risk.

To remove yourself from this list, simply place a check next to the "Remove Me >From This List" checkbox then click the "Remove" button below. If that doesn't work, head to:

http://www.worldstart.com/newsletterunsub.htm

Remove Me From This List

If your e-mail address doesn't appear below, enter it and press the Remove button to unsubscribe.

You are currently subscribed as nettime-bold@nettime.org