nettime_announcer on Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:46:12 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> announcer 00.07 [a]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
                                                                   | 0 0 . 0 7 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a <<

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  b

                                                                         - - - -
Carlos Pi <carlos@dircon.co.uk>: HEADLINES FROM THE TOYWAR.battlefield   | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
     hans_extrem netCALLBOY <hans_business@hotmail.com> : wwwiderstand   | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
 Danny Schechter <editor@mediachannel.org> : MEDIACHANNEL.ORG LAUNCHES   | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
            <gerhard.froehlich@iwp.uni-linz.ac.at> : GUTE GESELLSCHAFT   | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
 Jennifer De Felice <jennifer.defelice@fcca.cz> : Media Earthship 2000   | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
Natalie Bookchin <bookchin@calarts.edu>: <net.net.net> GHETTO SOFTWARE   | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
Brett Stalbaum <beestal@cadre.sjsu.edu>: Lev Manovich-Feb 15th-lecture   | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
 { brad brace } <bbrace@ncal.verio.com> : Online Art Museum Sweatshops   | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -
                   mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net> : world's only email radio   | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -
                           mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>: feb 14 DESIREgram   | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -
                  Elisa Rose <gunafa@well.com> : WEBCASTING, TV & LIVE   | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
                     bobig <bobig@infonie.fr> : free art = free artist   | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
    honor <honor@va.com.au> : r a d i o q u a l i a: CTL2000 live now!   | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
                      NOMADS <nomads@nomadnet.org> : AUDIOPHFILE v.3.0   | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
  Stefano Caldana <st.cal@teleline.es> : NET.ART IN THE "PAIS DIGITAL"   | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

by way of agent.Speedy

NSI FINALLY REINSTALLED THE etoy.DNS  TODAY, SATURDAY,
FEBRUARY 12, 2000 WITHOUT WAITING ANY LONGER FOR THE
LEGENDARY COURT ORDER THEY TALKED ABOUT DURING
THE LAST WEEKS TO DELAY THIS ESSENTIAL STEP!
---
eToys UNDER ATTACK FROM FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION!
---
etoy.ART infiltrated NASDAQ. etoy.SHARE-VALUE increased.
TOYWAR.agents celebrate the inventions of TOYWAR.r&d!

(etoy/TOYWAR: NEW YORK/ZURICH)

NSI - THE SECOND NET GIANT LOST ITS NERVES AND "MOVED
AWAY "FROM ITS HARASSMENT STRATEGY ... AFTER TOYWAR
PRESSURE GOT TOO HARDCORE.

since the official capitulation of eToys on january 25,
network solution (NSI) told the press that they need an
order from court to put etoy back on the net. this was
simply against the law. now after they faced another
firestorm and studied the eToys - DISASTER they
reinstalled the DNS without an official order. NSI could
not risk to step into the (initially underestimated)
TOYWAR.trap. we are proud that old fashioned power once
again crashed under the pressure of etoy.ART-BOMBS.

it seems like playful art armies including hundreds of
experts and excited net maniacs will play an important
role for the future of money.

eToys - A MASSIVE PROBLEM TRIGGERED BY TOYWAR.spies CAUSED
FURTHER DAMAGE TO eToys AND ITS SHARE VALUE: TOYWAR
FINALLY INFECTED NASDAQ AGAIN!

quote from the nasdaq company news "...The Federal Trade
Commission is looking into some of  the marketing practices
of the Internet toy store eToys Inc." eToys said the FTC
notified it in January with questions related to its
marketing of  products that have ratings of "mature" or
higher. It said in the filing that its failure to comply
with FTC regulations could result in action being taken
against eToys that could have a material adverse effect on
its business and results of operations....=
 http://mktnews.nasdaq.com/newsv2/pullstory.asp?textpath=3Dd:\www\nasdaq\new=
s\rf\2000\02\09\RF013839AT234.html&site=3DNASDAQ&sitesubtype=3D&usymbol=3DET=
YS&logo=3D&companyname=3D

according to an anonymous TOYWAR.banker 3 legendary
TOYWAR.spies worked out this strategy and posted it to other
agents: later they scanned the 100.000 items of the eToys
product catalogue with the help of 375 further TOYWAR.soldiers
and reported all suspicious and sick toys to the responsible
federal office in january 2000 (some links to sick products
are attached).

unfair - but effective: FIGHTING FIRE WITH FIRE. BUSINESS AS
USUAL. there are many weak points in corporations which rank
into a multi billion dollar market over night. eToys market
is much more unstable than ours... etoy has SHAREHOLDERS who
invest in lifestyle - eToys has SHAREHOLDERS who invest in
TRUST: no question.... to attack culture is much harder than
to attack market trust..... etoy has FANS - eToys does not.

the eToys share value dropped from $15.75 back to $15.188
the same day. coincidence or not? most of the actions lead to
the goal.... why would aggressors (who do not respect our
rights at all) give up if this disaster has nothing to do
with TOYWAR.operations...? MARKETS ARE DRIVEN BY EMOTIONS.
AND EMOTIONS CAN BE ENGINEERED. etoy is in this business
since 1994.

since the beginning eToys and many experts tried to deny the
TOYWAR.effect: it would hurt the market even more if they
would have to tell investors that "insane and depraved" art
projects have an IMPACT on NASDAQ. the investment game is
build on sand - like the etoy.CORPORATION ( http://146.228.204.72/ ).
but the ones who play this game should carefully choose its
business partners.

etoy - how are the etoy.SHARES doing? WELL..."STRONG BUY" OF
COURSE ...( for etoy.POINTS and merchandising check=
 http://www.toywar.com/shop )

the simple minded ceos still try to ignore the changes of
power relations while the smart guys of the industry already
act: conferences like silicon alley 2000 invite the
etoy.MANAGEMENT and promote their speech on the front page
next to CEOS FROM LYCOS and WIT CAPITAL: http://www.siliconalley2000.com/
we apologize for further "market confusion" : its THE ART-
GIANT without the "s"... who stays at the plaza hotel in nyc...
(CONFERENCE 28.02-1.03.2000). please do not border
etoy.EMPLOYEES in ny with complaints concerning delayed toy
shipping.

the TOYWAR.victory-parade and the nomination of the
TOYWAR.heroes will take place on www.etoy.com as soon as
this web site is online again. it's just question of formal
details now.

thank you for flying etoy....
the etoy.BOARD

INFECTING NASDAQ ...n=A9 by etoy

--> FOR INTERVIEWS AND BUSINESS MEETINGS IN NEW YORK CITY
PLEASE CONTACT etoy AT THE PLAZA HOTEL: 212 759 3000 (the
etoy.MANAGEMENT is present from saturday 26th until march
first 2000)

or even better: get your appointment by submitting
information to invest@toybomb.com

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

    hello!

wwwiderstand is a platform in german;...

fuer wwwiderstandz.MATERIAL::  http://www.ubermorgen.org
[[bitte verlinken;; + use material as much as y/can;;]]

bannerZ, buttonZ, signatureSS und linkZ zum online
schalten [attached mini-button als sample||; flyer-,
poster-, sticker-vorlagen als do-it-yourself-service,
einfach downloaden, ausdrucken, weiterschicken, benutzen!

und lasst uns auch euer wwwiderstandz.MATERIAL zukommen,
wir werden es umgehend uploaden:: mailto:liz@ubermorgen.org
[doks als attachement schicken].

stay strong!

    lizvlx & hans_extrem

°°°wwwiderstand.!JETZT!!!; BANNAZ; flyers; posterz;;°°°
°° http://www.ubermorgen.org °° °° °°° ° °°°°linkz; °°°
° °°° ° °°° ° °°° ° °°° ° °°° ° °°°°° °°° ° °°° ° °°° °

    ***  "i hoas hojac, du hoast hojac,
    wieso nennen sie dich westenthaler?" ***

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

TO OUR FRIENDS, THEIR FRIENDS, AND THE FRIENDS OF THEIR FRIENDS: WE
WANTED YOU TO KNOW ABOUT THE LAUNCH OF AN EXCITING NEW NOT-FOR-PROFIT
WEB PORTAL FOCUSING ON GLOBAL MEDIA ISSUES, MEDIACHANNEL.ORG. -- GATEWAY
TO THE LARGEST NETWORK OF MEDIA ISSUES GROUPS IN THE WORLD.  PLEASE
FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO OTHERS WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED. THIS IS A
ONE-TIME ONLY ANNOUNCEMENT; YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE SUBSEQUENT UNINVITED
E-MAILS FROM US.

For immediate release: February 4, 2000

"I urge you to make MediaChannel your portal to the Internet." - Walter
Cronkite

MEDIACHANNEL.ORG, FIRST "GLOBAL MEDIA SUPERSITE"
GIVES NEW ONLINE HOME TO INDEPENDENT VOICES

<http://www.mediachannel.org>

Responding to a "media crisis" in an age of mega-mergers and
unprecedented corporate concentration, two international non-profit
foundations are launching MediaChannel.org, the first Web portal
dedicated to international media issues.  The site will be the premier
Internet source for analysis and information about the media.

Driven by content from a network of more than 300 international media
organizations and publications, MediaChannel explores areas such as
freedom of expression, citizen access to media, trends in media
ownership, media arts, and the intersection of media and politics. A
joint project of two foundations specializing in independent media,
Britain's OneWorld Online and The Global Center in New York,
MediaChannel.org was designed and produced by Globalvision New Media.

We created MediaChannel in response to the crisis in the media world,"
explains Danny Schechter, MediaChannel Executive Editor and an Emmy
award-winning former ABC News and CNN producer. "The 'dumbing down' of
news and trivializing of information is not just an American phenomenon,
but a global one."

Echoing MediaChannel's concern for objectivity and integrity in
journalism, MediaChannel advisory board member Walter Cronkite urged the
public "to make MediaChannel.org your portal to the Internet." In
particular, he applauded MediaChannel's "encouragement to people inside
the media to speak up. Corporate censorship is just as dangerous as
government censorship." You can read Mr. Cronkite's full statement
online at the site, http://www.mediachannel.org.

A key feature of the site is its growing network of over 300 independent
organizations dedicated to media and social issues around the world, the
largest such network in the world. These groups include: the Columbia
Journalism Review, Freedom Forum, the International Federation of
Journalists, and the Media Institute of Southern Africa.
MediaChannel.org also boasts over 90 international advisors consisting
of some of the world's leading journalists, academics, media
professionals, media critics, and activists.

"MediaChannel.org provides the most comprehensive searchable database of
media topics available on the Web," said Schechter. Stories from
affiliated organizations are organized into topics such as "activism,"
"children," and "diversity." Issues explored in-depth on the Web sit
include the AOL-Time Warner merger, violence in the media, and the
media's coverage of war.

Original content on the site includes a daily media news page, with
links to the most important and provocative media news stories online.

The Views section offers all-original critical commentary, inside
information and open debates on the state of the global media, including
Schechter's weekly "News Dissector" column, and pieces from
international contributors such as Todd Gitlin, Culture and
Communication professor at New York University, Nadine Gordimer, the
renowned South African Nobel Prize winning writer, and the noted Latin
American essayist Eduardo Galeano.

MediaChannel's Media Arts section includes news and artwork from
affiliate groups dedicated to media criticism, artistic freedom, and
exploring the relationship of media and art, as well as an original
column by media arts editor Robert Atkins. The section also brings back
to the Web "The File Room," Antonio Muntadas's pioneering online artwork
about cultural censorship.

"The MediaChannel is the first project of our new company, Globalvision
New Media" said Rory O'Connor, President and CEO of Globalvision, Inc.
"We are producing the site in the public interest with the support of
many foundations and donors in the same spirit of public TV." The
Rockefeller Foundation, Open Society Institute, Arca Foundation, Reebok
Human Rights Foundation and the Puffin Foundation are among those who
have provided funding for MediaChannel.

"Discussion, debate and discourse are our hallmarks," said Ken Jordan,
MediaChannel's Site Director. "We don't just gripe about what's wrong
with the media -- we also explore ways to make it right. We are creating
an online center for media critics, analysts, educators and journalists
world wide."

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

sektion kulturtheorie und kulturforschung
der österreichischen gesellschaft für soziologie

sprecher: ass. prof. dr. gerhard fröhlich, universität linz, a-4040
linz-auhof
<http://www.iwp.uni-linz.ac.at/iwp/ki/sektktf/sektkt.html>

Im Rahmen des Soziologentages in Wien vom 21. - 23.  Sept. 2000 wirdsich
eine Forschungsgruppe sich mit dem Thema "Multimedia in der Soziologie"
beschäftigen. Fragestellungen: Wie können Multimedia-Anwendungen in der
Hochschullehre eingesetzt werden? Wie kann die Produktion von
Multimedia-Anwendungen in den Kultur- und Sozialwissenschaften angekurbelt
werden? Kann die kultur- und sozialwissenschaftliche
Forschung durch Multimedia-Anwendungen neue inhaltliche und methodische
Impulse erhalten? Sind Multimedia-Anwendungen besonders
geeignet, Interdisziplinarität, Praxisbezug und interinstitutionelle
Kooperation zu fördern? Wie können Multimedia-Anwendungen für die
Kultur- und Sozialwissenschaften evaluiert werden? Kultur- und
SozialwissenschaftlerInnen, die sich mit Multimedia-Problemen
beschäftigen, sind herzlich eingeladen, teilzunehmen und mir ein Abstract
über Ihre Präsentation  möglichst bis zum 30. 4.  zu
schicken.

Klaus Feldmann, Prof. Dr., Univ. Hannover, FB Erziehungswissenschaften
Institut für Psychologie und Soziologie, Bismarckstr. 2, D-30173 Hannover
Tel. 0511-762-8545 E-mail: feldmann@erz.uni-hannover.de

2) Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Soziologie, Veranstaltung der Sektion
Kultursoziologie auf dem 30. Kongress der DGS in Köln, 26.-29. September
2000 / Call for Papers:

"Gute Gesellschaft" war auch eine Maxime bürgerlicher Kultur, die sich vom
trivialen und vulgären Geschmack der Popularkultur abheben wollte. Zugleich
haben anti-bürgerliche Avantgarden das juste-Milieu bürgerlicher Kultur als
philisterhaften und geistverlassenen Traditionalismus angegriffen.
Schließlich ist mit dem Aufstieg der Massenkultur fraglich geworden,
inwieweit Prozesse der Entbürgerlichung oder der Verbürgerlichung, der
Neubildung oder des Tods der Avantgarde, der Vulgarisierung oder der
Bildungsverbreiterung diagnostiziert werden können. Eine
theoretisch-konzeptionelle Neufassung dieser Thematik, die die historische
Dimension einbezieht, ist neben der bekannten Fokussierung auf die neueren
und neuesten Medien in der Soziologie ein wichtiges Forschungsdesiderat.
Auf der Sektionsveranstaltung soll ein Einstieg in diese Thematik erfolgen.
Wir wollen damit beginnen, die Erforschung der bürgerlichen Kultur und
ihrer anti-bürgerlichen Avantgardismen mit den Bemühungen in Cultural
Studies und Medienforschung in einen längerfristigen Arbeitszusammenhang zu
bringen. (Eine Fortsetzungstagung wird für Frühjahr 2001 vorbereitet.) Für
Themenvorschläge wenden Sie sich bitte an den Vorstand der Sektion oder an:

Kontakt:  Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Eßbach, Universität Freiburg i. Br., Institut
für Soziologie, Rempartstr. 15, 79085 Freiburg i.Br. (e-mail:
essbach@uni-freiburg.de)

Termine: Themenvorschläge bis: 31. März 2000 / Abstracts bis: 20. Mai 2000
/ Die Sektionsveranstaltung ist für Mittwoch, 27.09.2000, 14.30 - 18.30
Uhr, vorgesehen.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

dear friends,
we would like to make you aware of:

P a n t o g r a p h  . N e t w o r k . P r o j e c t
( w o r k . i n . p r o g r e s s )
www.fcca.cz/pgraph

Media Earthship 2000

P r o j e c t . D e s c r i p t i o n  >

Pantograph Network Project, Mediaship Earth 2000 consists of a series
of lectures, presentations, interventions, publications, workshops,
and strategic meetings centered on the relationship between
individuals and society, morality and politics, culture and media,
technology and nature, network and heirarchial structures.

The PNME Pantograph Network Project - Mediaship Earth 2000 project is
launched as a tool to extend the development of new methods of
coordination and comunication based on shared dialogue, the
combination of resources and the exchange of experience, between
individuals and autonomous groups.

The PNME passengers freely collaborate with one another in the form of
an open dialogue and the sharing and exchanging of experiences. The
common factor is their attempt to contribute to the replacement of
dated ideological and socio-political schemas and myths (i.e. the
tendency to employ short term solutions which result in unsatisfactory
conditions for a complex societies existence).

S p e c i f i c . P r o j e c t . D e v e l o p m e n t . w i t h i n .
c a f e 9 . n e t  >

A] Reader / Publication Series
1) cafe9.net reader - anthology of texts covering society, politics,
culture and media over the last decade, including specific project and
program information as well as a profile list of related initiatives.
2) Poster Campaign related to current issues of transition within Europe
3) Essay series, individual media related essays printed in a
pamphlet type-format

B] Workshops and Seminars
1) Erik Kluitenberg - Narrating the Net Strategic
2) E-l@b - Streaming Media
3) Mongrel - Mapping Project in the Czech Republic
4) Video and Electronic Art Chain Mail / Video and CD-Rom Festival Prague

C] Archive - Label Project ( Public Access / Contribution - Selection
1) physical archive and web based database and on-line radio broadcastig of
   independent media and culture
2) MP3 and text based distribution network of independent media and culture

partner organizations> Tamizdat, Sonore....

D] Kalendarium - Web Based Public Access Almenac, (in collaboration with C3)

E] EuroVision2000

W o r k i n g  . m e t h o d s >

lectures, presentations, interventions, publications, workshops,
and strategic meetings

N a t u r e . o f . I n t e r a c t i o n >

A network has no center, isn't imperative, nor institutional, doesn't
have a periferie or specifically defined borders.  The discourse and
agreemebts do not have definite rules, information circulates and is
distributed relatively unrestricted, there are no definite aims,
commited methods, synergy happens without warning and is unplanned.

The Pantograph Project is proposed as a public space for negotiation,
a forum of  shared social dialogue, agreements on tools and the means
by which to determine particular interests, schedule collaborative and
systematic communication with others in public and methods how to
challenge governing heirarchies and unmonitorable formations which
have been piloting the intergallactic Earthship for decades.

N e t w o r k  . S c o p e >

individuals and autonomous groups, non-governmental/non-profit
institutions, active in the field of strategic media and concerned
with social and cultural issues

T o p i c s . o f  . t h e .  P r o j e c t  >

Thematic fields:
- education and information technology,
- hybrid media, democratization of the Internet, video, multimedia.
television, cultivation of public space - strategic network building,
joining betweens groups and iniciatives on a regional and
multi-regional level. - art, politics, technology, media..

T i m i n g >

Ongoing project since 1999
Project Manifestation September/October 2000

T e c h n o l o g y >

low tech / high tech / negotiation tools / print media /
posters, leaflets, perfomances.../

Appendix

"A complex open society is the contrary to a closed totalitarian
society, its working definition is as follows:

1.the current trend and differentiation towards the social sector
isn't effective and as concerns future perspectives, counterproductive
and dangerous.  Comparable to the Cold War era symbols are forged and
images typical for a heirarchical organization around a new center
created, unlike the previous ideological dichotomy, through corporate
powers, political, mass medial and economical elite into an
undemocratic and unmonitorable heirarchial formations.

These later function as stabilizing, however malipulating powers
pushed into a realm where the public can no longer monitor there
actions. The public in a complex society is a complex system of
relationships and networks, connected via feedback from every level of
its makeup.

2. an alternative solution to problem solving through the usage of
negotiation tools, i.e. media, mass media, culture, education, or
environmentalism; the process of weaving post-industrial and
post-totalitarian societies with a mesh of autonomous yet shared
connections. There networks replace outdated and no advantagous longer
functional heirarchies, markets and behavior patterns.

Networks enable more effective coordination and regulation of
small-scale and large-scale systems, i.e. local, regional, national or
multi-national entities. The networks make complex civil societies,
the cultivation of conscious identity and solidarity possible. The
denser and more diffrenciated the network, the harder it is to
manipulate while simultaneously throwing the legitimacy of controling
and monitoring units into doubt."
please send comments to:
Jennifer De Felice jennifer.defelice@fcca.cz
Milos Vojtechovsky milos55@hotmail.com
hermit@iol.cz

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

CalArts and the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles
present MONGREL on Wednesday February 23 at 8:00 PM.

The presentation "Ghetto Software" is free to the
public and will be in the MOCA Ahmanson Auditorium,
250 South Grand Avenue, LA.

MONGREL is a London based digital artist collective
that explores issues of race, technology and
new-eugenics. Mongrel prides themselves on their
ability to program, engineer and build their own
software and custom hardware. Mongrel makes ways for
those locked out of the mainstream to gain strength
without getting locked into power structures.
Two members of MONGREL, Richard Pierre-Davis and
Mervin Jarman, will be in Los Angeles to present
their work.

BIOS:
Richard Pierre-Davis was expelled from school two months before
taking his final exams. After a series of dead
end jobs, he took an introductory video course in South
London and began working on open access video
production  for a London community channel.

During this time he made cable TV documentaries on the
London Film Festival and Hong Kong film super star Chow
Yung Fat, adapting to the methods of and style of
guerrilla TV. He also worked with Graham Harwood on the
award winning CD ROM Rehearsal of Memory.

Mervin Jarman grew up in a post colonial Jamaica where
his world view was formed from repeated unemployment
and a lack of opportunity for himself and the people
around him. His discontentment led him to be
increasingly involved with local political skirmishes
using his increasingly competent media skills.

In 1990 he moved to London where he continued to practice
as a community-video artist. His increasing frustration
at the heavy cost and difficulty of distribution of
video art/activism led him to enroll in a new media
course for the long-term unemployed run by Harwood.
Here he discovered how transformative this technology
can be within society.

<net.net.net> is a collaborative effort between the
CalArts Programs in Photography in the School of Art
and Integrated Media at MOCA.

For further information please call 323-644-1762 or
send email to bookchin@calarts.edu
or see the website:
http://calarts.edu/~ntntnt

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

"Like new media in general, databases allow for coexistence of different
points of view, different models of the world, different ontologies and,
potentially, different ethics. Narrative, in contrast, offers a singular
interpretation of the world, a single model."

Lev Manovich - from an interview with Inna Razumova, Switch v5n3
(http://switch.sjsu.edu/web/v5n3/J-1.html)

Professor Manovich will speak at the San Jose State University School of
Art and Design Arts Lecture Series, hosted by the Computers in Art,
Design, Research and Education Institute, on Tuesday Feb. 15, 2000, 5
PM, room 133. The lecture is titled "Avant-garde as Software: from media
to computation". The lecture is free and open to the public. SJSU is
located in downtown San Jose, ca.us.

List life who happen to be in or near the San Francisco Bay Area on Feb
15th are warmly invited to attend!

Lev Manovich is an artist and a theorist of new media. His book "The
Language of New Media" will be published by MIT Press in 2000. Manovich
was born in Moscow where he studied fine arts, architecture and computer
science. He received an M.A. in experimental psychology from NYU [1988]
and a Ph.D. in Visual and Cultural Studies from University of Rochester
[1993]. Manovich has been working with computer animation, digital
cinema, digital photography, and interactive multimedia since 1984. He
has been teaching digital arts since 1992. Manovich lectures widely on
new media theory and aesthetics, and his writings have been published in
many countries. In 1995 he was awarded a Mellon Fellowship in Art
Criticism by California Institute of the Arts. Currently he is an
Assistant Professor at the University of California, San Diego were he
teaches studio and theory classes in digital arts.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

THE MUSEUM OF IDIOT-NET-ARTIST SHILLS

The work of over 125 pandering online artist-victims will be presented
as part of:

EAT-ME: An International Conference of Blabbering Incestuous Artworld
Acolytes at the Walker Art Center (April 6-8, 2000)

<-- http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/blabbering-cronies.html -->

Cultural identity, in the deepest sense, is all about open, intrinsic
value. The institutionalized culture is never a means but always an end.
Cultural resources, rituals, and activities are valued in and of
themselves. They are not things that can be reduced to quantifiable
standards.

Culture, then, exists in sharp contrast to the institutional sphere, in
which all phenomena is reduced to utility, and expropriation and
expediency become the accepted artworld norms.

The 12hr-ISBN-JPEG Project >>>>              since 1994   <<<<

+ + +       serial     ftp://ftp.wco.com/pub/users/bbrace
+ + +    eccentric     ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/bb/bbrace
+ + +   continuous     ftp://ftp.teleport.com/users/bbrace
+ + +   hypermodern    ftp://ftp.rdrop.com/pub/users/bbrace
+ + +      imagery     ftp://ftp.pacifier.com/pub/users/bbrace

>  News://alt.binaries.pictures.12hr ://a.b.p.fine-art.misc
> Mailing-list: listserv@netcom.com / subscribe 12hr-isbn-jpeg
> Reverse Solidus: http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net
>                  http://www.teleport.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html

 { brad brace }  <<<< bbrace@netcom.com >>>>  ~finger for pgp

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

Radio_Caterpillar

remote narrowcasting -- experiments in media compression --
asynchronously live -- open access -- collaborative processes --
performative minutae -- sounds bite -- PLAY YOUR SOUNDS

The world's only email radio station. Listeners are the composers are
the djs.  Imagine the silence between sounds.  Live 24 hours a day. Use
this narrowwave to netcast audio fragments, ascii noise, & mutated
media. Experiment with the noise to time ratio. All files played will be

archived as part of Plasmaphone, (http://plasmaphone.hipster.org) an
online random sampler..  Do not join this list if your email program
cannot handle attachments or your server cannot handle larger file
sizes. Possible file types include .wav, .aiff, .midi, .swf, .jpg, .gif,

mp3, ra, ....  All samples sent to the list must be under 30K.  For
larger files send only a link or upload yr works to a shared file area.
This list will remain unmoderated unless problems with file size are
encountered.

Shortcut URL to this page:
http://www.onelist.com/community/Radio_Caterpillar

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

desire
http://workxspace.de/valentine/desire/

-text-voice-music-viewable-readable-listenable-linear-non-linear-compilation-

(for NS/IE >4 + RealAudioG2)

martha cinder-voice  |   miekal and-text/audio  |   reiner
strasser-design

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

Der briefe Station Rose Newsletter 02/2000:

Gunafa !

a) Station Rose will perform LIVE at "Club Transmediale", Haus des
Lehrers/Alexanderplatz 4, Berlin.
Sat, 12.2., starting ca. 11p.m. cet
http://www.transmediale.de/club/clubfr.html

b) back in Frankfurt, Webcast 93 at http://www.stationrose.com Thu, 17.2.,
9p.m. cet

c) TV:   the videoclip "HOLZ" on VIVA/Berlin House.
check out the new clip, produced  entirely in the STR hypermedia cockpit,
this week Sun/13.2/11pm; Wed/16.2/1am.

stay with us !
STR  02-2000
 STR is one of the 1st multimedia bands in the world;  online since 91,
doing netart since 1992.
The actual "STReaming_Gunafa_Schedule" & the live-dates can be found at
www.stationrose.com.
STR played at Ars Electronica, Transmediale, Viper, Museum Ludwig,
Cyberthon, XS & Ultraschall, le Batofar, the Museum of Applied Arts in
Vienna, to name a few. "Cyberspace  is  Our Land!"

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

you want a bobig's work , just download it...

http://perso.infonie.fr/bobig/peinture1.htm

more information about bobig
----------------------
The official bobig's website :

http://perso.infonie.fr/bobig/   (FLASH 4.0 and real video needed)

and don't forget    "free your mind and your art will follow..."

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

CLOSING THE LOOP 2000 LIVE NOW ON:

r a d i o q u a l i a

       ((o))

f r e q u e n c y s h i f t i n g p a r a d i g m s
i n s t r e a m i n g a u d i o

http://www.radioqualia.va.com.au/ctl
r e s e a r c h  l a b o r a t o r y

Iris Cinema, Media Resource Centre, 13 Morphett Street, Adelaide, Australia

09.02.00

1900 - 2100             South Australian Summer Time
1930 - 2130             Eastern Australian Summer Time
0930 - 1130             Central European Time
0830 - 1030             Greenich Mean Time

http://www.radioqualia.va.com.au/ctl/broadcasts

real media workshop + blips ++++ bleeps [by zyzx + time'up]

  ----------->   networks ||  sounds || research  <-----------

LIVE TONIGHT + EVERY NIGHT THIS WEEK.

                + /
                transitory

honor@va.com.au

currently:
http://www.radioqualia.va.com.au/ctl

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

AUDIOPHFILE v.3.0
http://www.nomadnet.org

AUDIOPHFILE v.3.0, a bimonthly sonic art exhibition
organized by NOMADS, is now on-line at <http://www.nomadnet.org>

v.3.0 features work by Forbidden Reproduction (Washington, DC), Sabot
(Tabor, The Czech Republic) and The Trance and The Arcade (Washington, DC).

AUDIOPHFILE requires the Flash 4.0 player and a java-enabled browser. As
always, we recommend the use of headphones or speakers for the best
listening experience.

AUDIOPHFILE is funded, in part, by the DC Commission on the Arts and
Humanities and the National Endowment for the Arts.

---
NOMADS
www.nomadnet.org

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

Hi,
our work ARTE.RED is now on-line:

http://www.elpais.es/p/d/especial/arte/flash.htm

There is also a forum, if you want to participate you can write to:
digital@elpais.es

----
ROBERTA BOSCO y STEFANO CALDANA
CIBERPAIS - EL PAIS DIGITAL