Bruce Sterling on Tue, 3 Sep 2002 04:02:34 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Tranzis, Up Against the Wall

*I don't want to hammer this thing into the ground
like a circus tent-peg, but I have to wonder if there
is *anybody* on nettime who *isn't* a tranzi.  I mean,
I wouldn't be at all upset if there was some Latvian
nettimer who believed that Latvian national government,
religion, ethnicity, costume, cuisine and folk music
were all ultimate goods and that all multinational
movements, governance bodies and social groups
were somehow subversive.  But *why* would such
a person ever *want* to be on nettime?  Why would
he want a computer with a net connection?  Why would
he want to speak English, even?  Why would he
be here?  How could he hear me?

* If you are on nettime, and you loathe
and fear tranzis, would you send me some private
email enlightening me?  I'm bruces@well.com and
I promise not to bite.

*Isn't the Internet itself the ultimate Tranzi organ?
I mean, think about it.

*And isn't an anti-Tranzi basically a nationalist in
sentiment, and therefore a Nat-zi?  But that
coinage already seems taken.

bruces