John Hopkins on Fri, 6 Dec 2002 20:04:14 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Space of Flows: Characteristics and Strategies

Felix --

I re-read the flows essay last night and wanted to comment on what I
see as a major flaw in your argument -- that in your examples and in
your language you are moving primarily in a space of materialist,
object-oriented, and mechanistic thought.  I think that the entire
premise of a Space of Flows has to be fully rooted in (something of)
a Quantum model.  I can't give a specific example, but anywhere where
an object is the defined field of action, the implications of flow
really can't be considered properly.  It is only when the nature of
objects is modeled as a field of energy in an indeterminate state
(among other characteristics) can one proceed to higher/broader
considerations of the implications, say, in a social field of action.

Having said that, it is also clear that Quantum is not fully
developed enough in the present moment to act as a unitary model --
so one has to fuse together other models, including, for example, the
system of the I Ching which does indeed make considerations from the
micro to macro, nature to human, and the implications of the vast
range of flows that exist around and within us.

The following excerpt from a brief essay by Piet Hut entitled "There
Are No Things" sketches one aspect of the idea:

"That's right. No thing exists, there are only actions. We live in a
world of verbs, and nouns are only shorthand for those verbs whose
actions are sufficiently stationary to show some thing-like behavior.
These statements may seem like philosophy or poetry, but in fact they
are an accurate description of the material world, when we take into
account the quantum nature of reality.

Future historians will be puzzled by the fact that this
interpretation has not been generally accepted, 75 years after the
discovery of quantum mechanics. Most physics text books still
describe the quantum world in largely classical terms. Consequently
anything quantum seems riddled with paradoxes and weird behavior. One
generally talks about the "state" of a particle, such as an electron,
as if it really had an independent thing-like existence, as in
classical mechanics. For example, the term `state vector' is used,
even though its operational properties belie almost anything we
normally associate with a state..."

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/story/33.html

John