Eugene Thacker on Fri, 24 Jan 2003 22:05:21 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Fwd: Aesthetic Biology, Biological Art (Rifkin, bioart, science)

Aesthetic Biology, Biological Art

Eugene Thacker

1.

Reading over Jeremy Rifkin's article "Dazzled by the Science," one is struck
by a paradox. On the one hand there is the litany of controversial examples
pertaining to biotechnology and art. You would expect a cohesive argument to
emerge from this. But it doesn't. There's a position, however, and it's very
clear: biotech is bad. Or, if we were to be more generous, we would say that
Rifkin's position is that biotech is an infringement upon nature, and as
such is morally reprehensible, not least because it is driven by economic
imperatives. But this, to my mind, verges on being reactionary. Why does it
matter? It matters because Rifkin's article is exemplary of the level of the
current public discourse surrounding biotech. This so-called public
discourse mostly consists of poll-like perspectives on hot topics such as
cloning, GM foods, and stem cells. Are you for or against human cloning? You
can vote now on a corporate-owned news media website near you.

The fault is of course not Rifkin's. Indeed, as a long-time author and
activist, Rifkin's work with the Foundation on Economic Trends has done much
to influence public policy and to increase public awareness of very real and
pertinent issues such as genetic patenting, cloning, and environmentalism.
So, in a sense, it is disappointing to see someone who has authored several
books critical of biotech take such as reductive position. But then again,
The Biotech Century followed a similar pattern: a litany of controversial
examples from the biotech industry, accompanied by condemnations of
biotech's market-driven infringement upon nature. The end of Rifkin's
article in The Guardian states: "Now that we can begin re-engineering
ourselves, we mistakenly think of the new technological manipulation as a
creative act, when in reality it is merely a set of choices created in a
laboratory and purchased in the marketplace. The biotech revolution is the
ultimate consumer playground…the new genetic technologies grant us a godlike
power to select the biological futures of the many beings who come after
us."

Rifkin's "biotech-is-bad" position is actually twofold. First, it is bad
because it transgresses the sacred boundaries between the natural and
artificial worlds, between biology and technology, between "godlike"
creation and instrumental artifact. Second, biotech is bad because it is
motivated by predominantly economic concerns (find a gene, make a pill, sell
it to you). Now the question: does one position necessarily imply the other?
In other words, can we develop a political-economic critique of
biotechnology, without having to adopt the moralizing of the first position?
Again: why does this matter? It matters because too often, in the public
discourse on biotech, political critique slides into moral conservatism.
Rifkin does not -- or cannot -- distinguish these two positions. For him,
saying that biotech is bad is also saying that something mysterious called
"nature" is good, and that the latter should by all means be protected from
the invasion by the former.

But we might ask -- what is the "opposite" of biotechnology? Indeed, what is
biotechnology? Sure, there are definitions in molecular genetics textbooks,
as well as pop science books on the genome, but definitions vary. Is the
selective breeding of animals or selection of seeds biotech? If so, biotech
is a very old practice indeed, extending back to antiquity. Or is it only
techniques developed after genetic engineering in the 1970s? If so, then
"technology" is equivalent to lab gadgets. Historians like Robert Bud have
adopted one approach often taken: biotechnology is a set of practices, in
which biological "life" is appropriated for human use in a range of
industries (chemical, biomedical, agricultural). Recent work in science
studies and sociology has been more specific: biotechnology is a discourse
in which what is legitimately recognized as "life" is reformulated alongside
emerging scientific, cultural, and political paradigms (molecular biology's
genetic "code" -- see the work of Lily Kay, Richard Doyle, Hans-Jorg
Rheinberger, Donna Haraway, Vandana Shiva, Catherine Waldby). Critical Art
Ensemble -- one of the groups condemned by Rifkin -- have been more specific
on biotech. Biotechnology is first and foremost an industry, and as such it
functions as a "flesh machine," generating new products and services, and
thereby creating new niche markets, in the process transforming public
understandings of what counts as nature, the body, and health.

None of this should be new or surprising to anyone who has followed the news
headlines concerning the genome project, stem cell debates, or the latest
genetic chimeras. The point here is that, when positing a critique of
biotech, we would do well to assess our own position as well. What are we
protecting when we condemn biotechnology? Is it a mythical,
pre-technological state of nature? Is it the last remnants of our faith in
the uniqueness of "the human"? Is it theology (if not religion)? Is it the
dream of a post-capitalist society? In a sense, critiquing biotech is easy.
Finding "bad guys" to point at is easy. The hard part is figuring out what
the critique is defending.

Actually, finding the bad guy in biotech is not so easy. Corporations are
always easy targets, and, in a sense, convenient straw men. (Literally.) Is
the problem only economic? We are mistaken if we think that an extraction of
the economic aspects of biotech will solve any problems. Supposing that we
could somehow separate economics from bioscience research, we would still be
left with a series of epistemological and ontological issues. But we should
also be clear. Yes, there have been and are now injustices which have
occurred in relation to the biotech industry, and which raise issues
concerning human rights, environmentalism, bioterrorism, and cross-cultural
negotiations concerning sustainability. And yes, in such cases
accountability should be an issue, no matter how monolithic a government
agency or pharmaceutical corporation may seem.

All of this is to suggest something quite simple: that Rifkin's article,
exemplary of the public discourse on biotechnology, is as reductive as the
science and art he denounces.

2.

Now part two. Rifkin may be reductive, but saying so is not a round-about
way of defending the scientists and artists he critiques. Rifkin is
mis-informed -- or un-informed -- about biotech research and bioart. But his
basic points are well worth considering, if in a more articulated manner.

In short, Rifkin is mostly right about bioart. Much bioart is just bad art,
"bio-" or no "bio-". But to lump together scientist-entrepreneurs like
Venter (of Celera), and artists like Eduardo Kac into one group is
ridiculous. Clearly Rifkin has not done his homework (and no, visiting
websites does not count). And there are not only numerous exceptions to the
rule, but differences between artists. Critical Art Ensemble's work is very,
very different form the work of Kac. Different approaches, different
methods, different media, different positions (indeed, one may guess that
CAE would eschew the very notion of "bioart"). Anyone who has taken even a
surface interest in the current intersections of art and biology knows that
there is a great deal of diverse work out there, being produced in a range
of contexts. Which, again, doesn't mean it's all good art. But it is both an
emerging and a diverse field.

That being said, we can refine some of Rifkin's comments concerning bioart:

- Bioart usually benefits the artists more than the scientist collaborators
While there are a great many examples of scientists collaborating with
artists on projects, there are a few asymmetries worth noting. First, the
work itself is usually shown in an art context. Second, if publication
occurs, it is more likely to be in an art journal than a scientific one.
Third, when instances of professional recognition arise (e.g., tenure &
promotion), the artist gets recognition, while the scientist often does not.
Fourth, artists and scientists work with very different funding budgets.
Very different.

- The context for bioart is often the site of the gallery. This may not be
problematic in itself, but when bioart claims to be speaking about biotech
in terms of education and public awareness, then we have to wonder about the
site of this engagement. The art gallery is itself a specialized site, quite
alienating for many people. How can art claim to reach a public about
science, when it still has not resolved its inability to reach a public
about art?

- In bioart, "gee-whiz" science often overwhelms critical engagement. That
is, bioart often eschews ethical considerations in favor of technical ones.
Anyone will admit that learning how to work the automatic sequencing machine
is cool, but it is worthwhile to reflect on it a little. The old question
"can I do this" versus "should I do this" is worth reconsidering in the
context of bioart practices -- as art practices.

- Bioart can sometimes become PR for the biotech industry. In some cases the
aestheticization in bioart can feed into the "rhetoric of wonder" abundant
in popular discussions of the genetic understanding of life. It is
fascinating that your DNA stretched out is five feet long (or whatever it
is) And…?

- But not all bioart is formalist. In fact, a number of artists enjoy and
cultivate the "outsider-artist" persona, which indicates that bioart may be
attempting to fashion itself as the new avant-garde (oh no, not again…). By
pitching itself as transgressive, bioart risks replaying the tired narrative
of mainstream recuperation. Except that recuperation will this time be
activated by government research institutions and biotech companies with
programs titled "a celebration of art and science." (Might we someday see
artists as spokespeople for pharmaceutical companies?)

It should be clear that an overall attempt to carefully differentiate the
topics under discussion is needed. Again, Rifkin's article and position is
symptomatic. While it may be tempting to demonize "biotech industry" as a
whole, we need to pay attention to the way in which biotechnology is
becoming more and more diversified. Take genomics. It's not just "the" human
genome project, it's human genome projects, plural. It's also tied to
structural genomics, proteomics, pharmacogenomics, population genomics,
studies of polymorphisms, haplotypes, SNPs, and of course all that junk DNA.
Each of these are sub-industries and sub-disciplines in themselves. The more
one learns about the rabid specialization in biotech, the more it becomes
difficult to say that the biotech industry does this or that. Again, the
question is not whether this is good or bad (though diversification is
always good for revitalizing the flows of capital). The question is that we
have not yet learned how to ask adequate questions.

The same can be said for the loose grouping of art-science collaborations
called "bioart." The work of bioartists such as Critical Art Ensemble, Joe
Davis, Natalie Jeremijenko, Kac, SymbioticA, and Adam Zaretsky is anything
but a homogenous group of tech-geeks doing it "just because." I won't say
that every bioart project is unproblematic, but I will say that the issues
and methods employed are incredibly diverse, from performance, to sculpture,
to robotics, to tissue engineering, to activism. The more one learns about
the manifold intersections between art and science (and their problematics),
the more ridiculous it seems to imply an equivalence between bioart and
entrepreneurial biotech.

3.

This has already been too long just to make a few points. What to do. Why
not be prescriptive?

First, we need to, once and for all, dispense with the easy opposition
between pro- and anti-biotech positions. Again, while there are very serious
issues regarding biotech that need to be directly addressed -- biopiracy,
patenting, globalized health care, informatization -- simply condemning a
monolithic "thing" called the biotech industry helps no one. To simply
demonize biotech is to miss the point. The problem is not just economics in
business, not just reductionism in science, not just moralizing in the
humanities. It is all of these together. What is needed is not a
persecutional search for the bad guy; what is needed is the ability to
develop a critical engagement with biotech. The theorists and artists
mentioned so far all support this basic position.

Second, there is a need to reconsider our views of technology in light of
the ongoing advances in biotechnology. Over 30 years ago, Marshall McLuhan
famously declared that the "medium is the message" -- and thirty years before
that Walter Benjamin warned against the "aestheticization of politics" he
saw in avant-garde art such as Futurism. Unlike computer technologies,
bio-technologies take life itself as the means and the medium. Life becomes
indissociable from technological instrumentalization. A medium is no longer
a "machine" (in the literal sense of the term), be it a TV, VCR, or
computer. A medium is above all a process, a transformation, and an
objective. What do we see with biotech? A process of steadily reiterating a
new central dogma: genetics is code and code is both immaterial (in the
computer, in silico) and material (affecting a patient, in vivo). We also
see that process (encoding, recoding, decoding) affecting transformations:
gene discovery, genetically-designed drugs, stem cell therapies, GM foods,
etc. Finally, that process and its resultant transformation occur within a
set of objectives (and this is where it gets sticky): for the pharmaceutical
industry, that objective is making pills; for the biotech industry, that
objective is raising capital and demonstrating effective clinical trials;
for the IT industry, that objective is feeding high-tech into biotech; for
the health care sector, that objective is assessing whether or not genetic
medicine will become a part of routine health care; and so on. What do we
have when biology is a technology? What do we have when our notions of
technology are no longer decisively separate from our biologies? We have
something that can only be called "biomedia."

Third, as public discussions over biotech continue, those of us involved
need to be aware of the moment when political activism turns into moral
conservatism. Positioning oneself against the patenting of living beings is
one thing; but offering a view of an untainted, pure nature against invasive
bio-technologies is quite another. We do not need religious or moral
fundamentalism in order to counteract and intervene in the biotech industry.

Rifkin's overall anxiety is strangely expressed - as if the real threat is
that publicly available biotechnologies will spawn a new fashion movement
(bioPrada?). While Rifkin cites a number of controversial examples, it
appears that the primary reason for their being condemned is that they
infringe upon nature (human biology included). Rifkin's comments are
noteworthy when they raise the question of ethics. But it is not clear to me
how, in this day and age, we can still make an argument for a pure nature
beyond the reach of technology or artifice. According to Rifkin's
exceedingly broad terms, we've had human "bio-technologies" for sometime.
It's called the institution of marriage. Again and again, the position being
expressed by Rifkin appears to simply be that biotech transgresses the
sacred domain of nature. Crossing genes, goat + sheep, fish + plant, human
genes in mice, spider genes in goats, genetically-engineered
super-spiders?... The arithmetic of this position is straightforward. And
incredibly reductive. And what is the true definition of art for Rifkin, in
this context? Art is an "expression of love." No comment. If art has a
definition, it certainly isn't as formulaic as that (or so one would hope).
Rifkin's understanding of art is no more sophisticated than the scientists
he criticizes.

All the same, Rifkin's point concerning non-scientists doing science poses a
thought experiment: will the PC happen to biotech? Is the human genome
project the equivalent of the ENIAC? In other words, if the tools,
techniques, and knowledge of molecular genetics and biotechnology are opened
to the public, will this be a moment of liberation or of enslavement? Likely
neither. But it does beg the question: if we condemn renegade scientists and
avant-garde artists, different as they are, then who holds the privilege to
make decisions about who can have access, about how knowledge is
disseminated? Not so long ago the same question was posed in relation to
computers. But, you say, computers are just machines, just a bunch of bits,
totally different from the "real stuff" of biology. Perhaps. But have
computers not been as materially effective in transforming our lives as any
biotechnology? Recall the U.S. government's ongoing paranoia surrounding
hacking and computer terrorism. Computers have also affected modes of
production, and not only in Third World microchip factories. Work is no
longer an activity that takes place at an office; labor is immanent,
biopolitical.

The anxieties surrounding biotechnology are no different, and certainly not
new. (Brave New World, yes. But also Dr. Moreau, Frankenstein, The Golem,
even Ovid's Metaphorphoses.) The double-bind expressed by Rifkin is the
following: on the one hand, there is a deep anxiety about and mistrust of
biotechnologies. But on the other hand, there is an even deeper anxiety
about such technologies becoming accessible to the general public ("let into
the wild," as it were). So the question pertains to the policing of
disciplines as much as policy decisions or economics. And we police our own
disciplines, meaning that we police our own set of knowledges as well, and
the ways in which those knowledges are instrumentalized. The solution is
clearly not to just open the gates and give every citizen their own PCR
machine. We need to complexify our understanding of the issues beyond the
ballot-mentality (are you for human cloning or against? Are you for or
against bioartists? How about that on the next ballot?…). Recognizing that
this stalemate must be overcome is an important step.

Eugene Thacker, PhD
School of Literature, Communication & Culture
Georgia Institute of Technology