TONGOLELE on Sun, 26 Jan 2003 02:16:07 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Fwd: Aesthetic Biology, Biological Art (Rifkin, bioart, science)

Dear Eugene
 I wish I could respond to all your points in detail, but time limits and
workloads prevent it. However, I read your defense of biotech art not just as
 response to Rivkin's text but as one skirmish in a larger, longer battle
that is being played out in various cultural sectors, including the artworld
and the terrain of "avant-garde" aesthetic and theoretical practice and I
recognize in your defense some very familiar tropes. The "defense of
science" position coming from sectors of the new media community I would
argue, needs to be interrogated. The frequent accusations that those who
critique are essentialists about nature, about identity, neo-Luddites and
phobic about science really need to be put aside for a moment if any kind of
serious discussion is going to happen. In short, I'd say you and others are
stereotyping and fetishizing those who criticize your position and this
creates a smokescreen that deters self-reflection on the aesthetics and
politics of biotech art. Not all criticism of what biotech art is comes from
people who are intellectually naïve or uninformed about science and art. Like
any other self proclaimed avant garde of western art history, biotech artists
have claimed that they are redefining art practice and therefore the old
rules don't apply to them. But that heroic stance and imperviousness to
criticism sounds a bit hollow and self-serving after a while, especially when
the demand for inclusion in mainstream art institutions, art departments in
universities, art curricula, artworld money and art press is so strong. If
biotech artists want to be institutionalized as they clearly do, they are
inevitably going to be subjected to processes of evaluation by the agents of
those institutions.

I don't think it makes sense for you to feel that your field is being singled
out. Every art fad goes through boom and bust cycles and biotech art is
susceptible to such vicissitudes. That said, biotech art is directly
implicated in the entrenchment of new scientific discourses as the "total
explanation of everything" in the present moment. I agree with Virilio, who
argues in Crepuscular Dawn, that science is not just research or discovery --
it is our politics and it is imperial in its exercise of power. It is a
technology of social and political control, managed and financed by the
military and designed for global domination -- and art that engages with
it is impossible to divorce from that nexus. Biotech art then, is not ever
disinterested, not is it ever just about art or beauty or about a scientific
practice that is pure or objective. Because of this, I find the attempts by
many biotech art endorsers to celebrate their endeavor as if it were just about
a scientific or aesthetic pursuit to be disingenuous. Its very rhetoric of
transcendence of the human is itself an violent act of erasure, a master
discourse that entails the creation of "slaves" as others that must be
dominated. Even those who claim to be deconstructing biotech in their art
practice depend on a rhetoric of transcendence that effectively marginalizes
any other form of artistic or political engagement.

A few years ago, when hype about the Human Genome Project was plastered
across every newspapers on a regular basis , and art institutions began
searching for new sources of funding through alliances with science, biotech
art was all the rage. I realize that many people who took it up were inspired
by Baudrillard's claim that cloning was paradigmatic of the age of simulation
and thus to make art about this phenomenon was to be in tune with the
zeitgeist. It is also evident that the last wave of art about science has
been dominated by a drive to draw parallels between digitalization and
molecularization, to find in the mathematical structures of the machinic and
the organic a the "beauty" of some kind of transcendent truth. But that
utopian vision of this venture ennobles and masks the economic and
underpinnings of the artworld's investment in a social issue that appeared at
least at one time to be very fundable and politically neutral
("post-identitarian") because it came wrapped in the language of science, and
"accessible" to new audiences that art institutions are always looking to
develop. Furthermore, none of the promoters of the recent love affair between
art and science seem very open to an interrogation of how university art
programs are finding ways to link up with science as a fundraising strategy.
Many universities have lost large portions of their endowments in the
downturn of the stock market and as a result are compelled to seek more
income from scientific research grants. In short, there is nothing
disinterested or pure about what is happening with art and science, and in
the end, money and power are determinant. So biotech art may be presented as
innovative because it is fundable, not because the art is that radical or
beautiful or interesting.

The Genome project is not as newsworthy anymore, and in a post 9/11 world,
the fad in new media has shifted to questions of globalization, which to my
mind are often posed in very problematic terms. In any case, now that the
spotlight has dimmed, it is par for the course that some arbiters would ask,
well is the biotech art out there any good? Is it interesting? Is it art?
Does it communicate anything that straightforward scientific information does
not? Is the art being used to endorse an ideology? It seems to me that these
are logical questions to ask when faced with a lot of art that present
science as a spectacle that we are to be in awe. It also seems like logical
questions to ask the artists themselves, many of whom are very defensive
about their motives, about their "love" of science (as if this would make
them immune to political and economic investment in championing it), and
about questions of quality, which, as old fashioned as they may seem, are
asked about any kind of cultural expression, and not always for horrifically
conservative reasons. Audiences and critics usually do get their say in these
matters, whether artists and their promoters want to hear it or not.

The last wave of biotech art does not represent the first time in the history
of art that visual artists have engaged with hard science, nor is the first
time that artists have engaged with social issues and political issues. Yet
no discourse on biotech art and no biotech artwork I've seen acknowledges
that this history exists nor is any dialogue with that history attempted in a
rigorous manner. The assumption is invariably that biotech art is something
new, a claim that quickly turns into a defense against any critical
evaluation. Furthermore, in every discussion I have had with the cultural
bureaucrats and artists who are touting the current intertwining of art and
science as new and radical, no one has wanted to review the history of how
and why hard science has been allowed to influence art production and
criticism in the past, how myths about the neutrality of science and the
superiority of western science have remained intact and have been enforced by
the imposition of scientistic vocabulary in art criticism, as was the case in
the 1950s, for example. Yet, to my mind, there is a crucial relationship
between the retrograde universalism evoked by the "return to beauty" as a
organizing principle of visual art in the late 1990s, as represented by
powerful critics such as Dave Hickey, and the celebration of the discovery of
"master codes" that function as universal truths in the discourse of biotech
art. Even the heroic radicalism in much of CAE's writing and their premise
that the molecular is everything and no other battles are meaningful sounds
alarmingly dismissive and positions science as the only discourse of truth.
For all their claims to want to share knowledge about contestational biology
I find it quite telling that there is no sustained effort in the work to
build alliances with grassroots indigenous groups who elaborate their own
tactics against being run over by corporate science, or with activists in
poor communities who are developing methods for tackling environmental
racism, developing better quality food supplies, or fighting against being
turned in lab rats for pharmaceutical research. In other words, there are
very important embodied politics of contestation of corporate science that,
while buttressed by various modes of identity politics and sometimes couched
in language that deifies nature, deserve acknowledgement, respect, and
attention, as they are more compelling to the large sectors of the
disenfranchised than the posthuman lingo of biotech artists.

My own skepticism about biotech has to do with political and ethical
questions more than aesthetic ones. I am profoundly disturbed by the
systematic suppression of the roots of genetics in eugenics and about the
ways that fascination with biotech forecloses analysis of its connection with
deeply racist ideas that glorify the engineering of a supra-human order that
is leading to the justification of the absolute dehumanization of the
majority of the world population. I cannot just sit back as you do and write
one sentence to the effect that well yeah biotech and science is doing some
pretty creepy things but hey it's exciting and it's the future. It isn't
enough for me that for example Fakeshop would just invoke the poor masses of
people in the third world who sell their organs and then go on to create
ghoulish sci fi spectacles about the "post-human" that make the process
appear so dramatic and exciting -- too many details about the global forces of
racialized and class oppression get downplayed in that mix.

I would also point out that I do think critics who have noted that the visual
quality of much biotech art is either predicated on fetishizing scientific
process as spectacle (ie, look at the glow in the dark rat or watch your
designer baby grown before your eyes); or on the suppression of the optic
through the construction of work with texts, graphs and data (biotech
conceptualism); or on the staged parody of scientific method as institutional
critique. None of the methods are new, radical in themselves or absolute
recipes for success. The " biotech as entertainment" approach collapses the
distance between art and propaganda and often results in work that looks very
much like "feel-good" documentaries about science on public television,
albeit with a weird, hipster twist. Crucial questions about the ethics and
politics of biotechnology are completely occluded by the fetishizing of new
technologies' visualization of heretofore invisible processes. The act of
illustrating and foregrounding scientific method becomes a substitute for
critical reflection on the politics of science. This kind of approach
functions as an implicit endorsement of biotech, regardless of what artists
may claim their own personal positions to be. The more conceptual approach,
while politically well intentioned as a mapping of the commodification of the
organic via science, is very difficult to pull off as compelling visual art.
In terms of expediency, I am left wondering in the face of this work why the
information is being presented in an art context, since it seems as though I
would grasp it better as a book. Unlike early conceptual art, which was quite
minimal its use of text and quite humble in its materials, biotech
conceptualism is often overloaded and overcoded. It's so busy, so hard to
decipher, so hard to read through and so hard to process that the mapping
tends to muddle rather than elucidate. There is a long history of system
analysis in sculpture and installation, which began in the 60s with the
mapping of natural ecosystems and organic cycles and moved through the
plotting of social systems onto institutional critique of social and cultural
institutions, but none of that rich history appears to be drawn on by biotech
artists. Finally, the parody of scientific method are usually limited in
their physical situation to art contexts, which deflates the political force
of the parody. Sure, many of those artists attend meetings with "real"
scientists, but in that contexts they become advisors on how to popularize
science, which is hardly what I would call a critical intervention in
scientific institutions. Unlike parodies of corporate entities, which "rub
shoulders" with real corporations and generate productive tension in doing
so, or parodies of ethnographic discourses that are located in natural
history museums and dislodge the status of anthropology as science, or
parodies of museological language that were strategically located in art
museums, and thus forced a certain critical reflection on the politics of
each place, the many biotech parodies located in the artworld encourage
somewhat problematically self-serving views of artists as "better scientists"
or of scientific process as a better way of making art than any other.

I don't think that most critics of biotech hoopla are essentializing nature.
I think they are more worried about a political culture in which man-made
forces are destroying nature, natural resources, and human beings and about
people who see that is just fine and dandy. Yes I know I'm already eating
transgenic foods and that my life may be saved by biotechnology -- but it may
also be terminated by it. Having respect for organic life is not necessarily
wacko or naïve. Many of us see the price of living in a world of endless
simulation and posthuman engineering as too dear -- too many are shut out, too
much is imperiled, and the loss of concern for ethics is more terrifying than
liberating for most people in the world . The ability to maintain world peace
as a goal is lost when technological innovation is predicated on making war --
that was what Walter Benjamin once said would happen if technology served
capitalism. Losing respect for human life is certainly the underbelly of any
militaristic adventure, and lies at the root of the racist and classist ideas
that have justified the violent use of science for centuries. I don't think
there is any reason to believe that suddenly, that kind of science will
disappear because some artists find beauty in biotech.

Coco Fusco