Heiko Recktenwald on Mon, 14 Apr 2003 04:43:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Re: System vs Law

Hi,

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Benjamin Geer wrote:

> I think states respect, and invoke, international law only to the extent that
> it furthers their own interests.  Sometimes, those interests include

Some states.

> appearing to stand for higher principles, for reasons of domestic
> realpolitik.  For example, it is clearly in the state's interest to nourish
> nationalism at home, by claiming to stand for universal values.  This perhaps
> partly explains the new German nationalism you described.

Nationalism? To say "No" ? Why cant an aggressiv war be called an agressiv
war without "nationalism" ? I think your premise is wrong.

> > The 'street' has in
> > many ways become part of an extended state,
>
> The British state certainly didn't want millions of its citizens to
> demonstrate against its participation in the invasion of Iraq.  Nor did any
> of the member states of the WTO want their citizens to demonstrate against
> the WTO in Seattle in 1999.

True, but in some cases the street is part of the politics, one factor,
amongst others.

H.