nettime's hypocrite on Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:27:45 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> hypocritical theory [2x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> hypocritical theory
     "Eduardo Navas" <eduardo@navasse.net>

   RE: <nettime> hypocritical theory
     "Kermit Snelson" <ksnelson@subjectivity.com>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 02:42:52 -0600
From: "Eduardo Navas" <eduardo@navasse.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> hypocritical theory

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "McKenzie Wark" <mckenziewark@hotmail.com>
To: <nettime-l@bbs.thing.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 10:39 PM
Subject: <nettime> hypocritical theory

> Note that its muffled squarks take two forms: bad faith (Bhabba) and pure
> bourgeois ideology (Fish). Who says the latter is not to be preferred to
> the former?
<--snip-->

 New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/19/arts/19CRIT.html?pagewanted=print&position
=

> The Latest Theory Is That Theory Doesn't  Matter
> By EMILY EAKIN
>

> These are uncertain times for literary scholars. The era of big theory is
> over. The grand paradigms that swept through humanities departments in the
> 20th century - psychoanalysis, structuralism, Marxism, deconstruction,
> post-colonialism - have lost favor or been abandoned. Money is tight. And
> the leftist politics with which literary theorists have traditionally been
> associated have taken a beating.
>
> In the latest sign of mounting crisis, on April 11 the editors of Critical
> Inquiry, academe's most prestigious theory journal, convened the scholarly
> equivalent of an Afghan-style loya jirga. They invited more than two dozen
> of America's professorial elite, including Henry Louis Gates Jr., Homi
> Bhabha, Stanley Fish and Fredric Jameson, to the University of Chicago for
> what they called "an unprecedented meeting of the minds," an unusual
> two-hour public symposium on the future of theory.
<--snip-->

This article is obviously biased.  It's hard to believe that someone like
Jameson would drastically shift his 'collective unconscious' drive in recent
times.  Babha commented as would be expected of him.  I think Edward Said
would have been a good endorser of Babha's comment --especially with his
position on representation of intellectualism as an important cultural
activity.  There was probably a reason why Said was not invited to the
event.

I take the article with a grain of salt. It's obviously pushing what the
media claims to be the norm right now.  Mentioning the war with Iraq so
emphatically at the end of the article only makes such agenda even more
obvious.

Eduardo Navas
.thing.net