nettime's_raised_hackles on Sat, 31 May 2003 20:31:30 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> made in america digest [hwang, rosler, marvin]

Subject: Re: <nettime> fascin' USA digest
     Francis Hwang <sera@fhwang.net>
     martha rosler <navva@earthlink.net>
     Jay Marvin <deskclerk@earthlink.net>

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 12:44:56 -0400
From: Francis Hwang <sera@fhwang.net>

Kristol makes reference to the Pentagon dutifully recording this
interview, and then releasing the transcript -- it's at
http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/2003/tr20030509-
depsecdef0223.html if you feel like reading it yourself.

If you think this particular claim of misquotation is important enough,
the question to ask is this: Can either Tanenhaus or the DoD make the
actual audio available? I don't really trust a big glossy magazine to
get its facts straight (though at least we're talking about Vanity Fair
here, and not the New York Times) -- but I trust the DoD even less.

I wonder if it matters. I hate sounding like a despairing cynic, but
the signs of the White House's disregard for truth and transparency are
plentiful and not hard to find for anybody who takes the time to look.
If you're the sort of person who cares enough to read such an
interview, you're probably not going to have your opinion (positive or
negative) swayed either way.

Francis