Karl-Erik Tallmo on Wed, 1 Aug 2007 08:08:53 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> articles on Ingmar Bergman

Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter had a special today about Ingmar
Bergman, with two of the articles translated into English. One is
written by one of Sweden's more prominent theater critics, Leif Zern:

Love and Daemons
See http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=2712&a=675578

Then there is an article by the Bergman biographer Maaret Koskinen:

Death has wrapped its large mantle around Bergman
See http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=2712&a=675560

Many have emphasized Bergman's visual genius (achieved in
co-operation with Sven Nykvist) and his great interest in music, and
that his greatest love actually was the theater, not film - but I
think one aspect that is seldom mentioned is the special rhetoric,
the very special verbal flow articulated through his actors, e.g.
Erland Josephson and Gunnar Bjornstrand, and of course Max von Sydow.
But also the famous "Bergman women" sometimes excel in these almost
breathless verbal outbursts.

There is a similarity here with another Swedish director, Hasse
Ekman, who also had a very special talent for a sort of smooth
eloquence, but Bergman's characters (think  Erland Josephson in
"Scenes From a Marriage") are mostly ironic, sarcastic, bitter or
just lost in this world, while Ekman was always elegant and made even
misery seem somehow endurable through his mere voice and timbre.

I think this use of voices and voice quality together with often very
non-oral literary utterances have not attracted as much attention as
I think they should. Bergman used his actors as a composer chooses
instruments for a piece of music. Somebody wrote the other day that
Bergman managed to deal with all these existential topics without
being pretentious. I think he was very pretentious - but he got away
with it beautifully, partly I believe through this very special use
of certain actors and their marvellous, not to say idiosyncratic,
diction.

See also http://www.ingmarbergman.se/

/Karl-Erik Tallmo

    KARL-ERIK TALLMO, writer, artist, journalist etc.

    ARTWORK, WRITINGS etc.: http://www.nisus.se/tallmo/
    SOUND & MUSIC: http://www.nisus.se/tallmo/sound/
    MAGAZINE: http://art-bin.com
    COPYRIGHT HISTORY: http://www.copyrighthistory.com