Patrice Riemens on Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:59:54 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Finnish and Dutch child porn filters

Well, this is the ten million Yuan Renminbi question.

As Luthet Blissett so succesfully demonstrated as to unleash upon itself
the full onslaught of the Italian police apparatus, kiddieporn is the
Trojan Horse used by vested interest to repress if not to suppress freedom
of expression on the Internet (while enjoying kiddieporn themselves, as
numerous scandals involving high-ups indicate). It has been such a
succesfull argument in the hand of those in power whose not-so-hidden
agenda is political control cum economic rent-seeking that in the
Netherlands, it was the hackers initiated ISP xs4all which in the late
nineties took the lead in a (anti-) kidporn reporting structure, either to
call the authorities' bluff, or to save its own skin (or both).

> Karin Spaink writes:
>  > Using his list I tested the Dutch kiddie porn filter and found 10
>  > blocked sites: 1 UK, 1 defunct, 4 US and 4 Dutch sites. If the Dutch
>  > police authorities, who compiled the Dutch balcklist, says they are
>  > kiddie porn sites, they should shut them down and not force ISPs to
>  > merely hide them.
>  >
>  > Actually, what I found means that
 <...>