Keith Hart on Sat, 29 Mar 2008 21:13:51 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Brits in hock--or, Atlas shrugged again

Dan, Felix and Brian,

I am writing something now on the relevance of Polanyi's The Great
Transformation to the current world economic crisis. The central feature
of this comparison is his analysis of what happened in the 1930s:
international finance flourished for a while when trade started slowing
down, but it couldn't stave off the inevitable forever. When the money
dried up, so too did trade; national political solutions were sought and
war was the result. In a sense, Polanyi's war-time revelation of the
hidden truth of western capitalism was not a good guide to what happened
next. But his work of prophecy just might illuminate our moment. There's
a long way to go in my article, but I couldn't resist sharing its
opening with you. It's about much the same thing, but at level far
removed from the latest news. I also couldn't resist the header with its
impression that Britain is still at the core of global economic
developments as it once was in the original 'Great Transformation'.
Actually, I believe that the United Kingdom is the most unstable polity
in the world, but that's a whole other story.

Keith
/
/
The making and unmaking of 19th century world society

The Great Transformation (1944) opens with a highly selective account of
the making of world society in the 19th century, a society that Karl
Polanyi not unreasonably considered to be lying in ruins as he wrote. He
identified four pillars of this civilization, all of which had collapsed
in the course of what Winston Churchill called “the second Thirty Years
War” (1914-1945): the balance-of-power system that had brought a century
of peace within Europe; the international gold standard; the
self-regulating market; and the liberal state. Money was a central
feature of all these. Polanyi identified the peace interest with what he
insisted on calling /haute finance/,

an institution /sui generis/, peculiar to the last third of the
nineteenth and the first third of the twentieth century, [which]
functioned as the main link between the political and economic
organization of the world in this period (1944: 10).

The international gold standard “was merely an attempt to extend the
domestic market system to the international field”; the balance-of-power
system was a superstructure built on its foundation; and the gold
standard’s fall “was the proximate cause of the catastrophe” (ibid: 3).
The self-regulating market was “the fount and matrix of the system”; it
had “produced unheard-of material welfare”, but it was utopian in its
pursuit of an autonomous circuit of commodities and money. The liberal
state, in the name of market freedom, forced all other interests in
society to submit to the freedom of capital, another word for money.

Polanyi did not claim that his was a work of history: “what we are
searching for is not a convincing sequence of outstanding events, but an
explanation of their trend in terms of human institutions” (ibid: 4).
His focus was on the industrial heartland of nineteenth-century
civilization and on Britain in particular. Next to the rise of market
fundamentalism, he played down the bureaucratic revolution of the late
nineteenth century that allowed governments in alliance with
corporations to promote mass production and consumption. There is little
here about America and Russia, even though he acknowledged their rise as
great powers in this period. The reader will find even less about how a
racialized world society was built through colonial empire. Rather, as
we know, Polanyi was concerned with the consequences of buying and
selling the very essence of our humanity in nature and society, with
what he called the “fictitious commodities”. Land, labour and money are
essential to the industrial system; they must therefore be bought and
sold, but they were definitely not produced for sale. Labour is human
activity that is part of life itself; land is another word for nature;
and “actual money is merely a token of purchasing power which, as a
rule, is not produced at all, but comes into being through the mechanism
of banking or state finance” (ibid:72). Here Polanyi comes close to
suggesting that a free market in money entails buying and selling
society itself.

Consistent with this approach, Polanyi inverts the liberal myth of
money’s origin in barter:

The logic of the case is, indeed, almost the opposite of that underlying
the classical doctrine. The orthodox teaching started from the
individual’s propensity to barter; deduced from it the necessity of
local markets, as well as of division of labor; and inferred, finally,
the necessity of trade, eventually of foreign trade, including even
long-distance trade. In the light of our present knowledge [Thurnwald,
Malinowski, Mauss etc], we should almost reverse the sequence of the
argument: the true starting point is long-distance trade, a result of
the geographical location of goods and of the “division of labor” given
by location. Long-distance trade often engenders markets, an institution
which involves acts of barter, and, if money is used, of buying and
selling, thus, eventually, but by no means necessarily, offering to some
individuals an occasion to indulge in their alleged propensity for
bargaining and haggling. (Ibid: 58)

Money and markets thus have their origin in the effort to extend society
beyond its local core, giving rise to a strong sense of the external vs.
internal dimensions of economy. Polanyi believed that money, like the
sovereign states to which it was closely related, was often introduced
from outside; and this was what made the institutional attempt to
separate economy from politics and naturalise the market as something
internal to society so subversive.

Polanyi distinguished between “token” and “commodity” forms of money,
labels that I borrowed for my own analysis of the two sides of the coin
as symbolic of the state/market pair (1986). “Token money” was designed
to facilitate domestic trade, “commodity money” foreign trade; but the
two systems often came into conflict. Thus the gold standard sometimes
exerted downward pressure on domestic prices, causing deflation that
could only be alleviated by central banks expanding the money supply in
various ways. The tension between the internal and external dimensions
of economy often led to serious disorganization of business (Ibid:
193-4). Another way of putting this contradiction is to oppose the
liberal definition of money as just a “medium of exchange” to one as a
“means of payment”. Money was thus

...not a commodity, it was purchasing power; far from having utility
itself, it was merely a counter embodying a quantified claim to things
that could be purchased. Clearly, a society in which distribution
depended on possession of such tokens of purchasing power was a
construction entirely different from market economy (Ibid: 196).

Here Polanyi echoes Keynes’s (1930) “money proper” and “money of
account”, with the emphasis on the latter function, la distinction
similarly introduced to draw attention to the political possibilities
for state manipulation of “purchasing power”.

The final collapse of the international gold standard was thus one
consequence of the ruinous attempt to delink commodity and token forms
of money. In a trenchant discussion of the economic crisis of the 1930s
that has echoes of the world economy today, Polanyi highlighted the
separation of the money system from trade. As restrictions on trade
grew, money became more free:

Short-term money moved at an hour’s notice from any point of the globe
to another; the modalities of international payments between governments
and between private corporations or individuals were uniformly
regulated....In contrast to men and goods, money was free from all
hampering measures and continued to develop its capacity to transact
business at any distance at any time. The more difficult it became to
shift actual objects, the easier it became to transmit claims to
them....The rapidly growing elasticity and catholicity of the
international monetary mechanism was compensating, in a way, for the
ever-contracting channels of world trade....Social dislocation was
avoided with the help of credit movements; economic imbalance was
righted by financial means (Ibid: 205-6).

But of course, in the end, political means of settling the imbalance
outweighed market solutions and war was the result.

In an essay that will shortly be published on The Commoner website
(www.commoner.org.uk/), David Graeber has this to say:

Prophets are not simply people who speak of future events. They provide
revelation of hidden truths about the world, which may include knowledge
of events yet to come to pass, but need not. One could argue that both
revolutionary thought, and critical social theory, both have their
origins in prophecy. At the same time, prophecy is clearly a form of
politics. This is not only because prophets were invariably concerned
with social justice. It is because they created social movements, even,
new societies.

The Great Transformation was a work of prophecy and, broadly speaking,
the prophecy failed. The 1940s did indeed see a world revolution; but
its immediate outcome was not one foreseen by Polanyi nor were its
engines highlighted in his book (the Rooseveltian consensus, the
anti-colonial revolution, the Cold War etc). Yet, interest in his work
has never been greater than now and this may reflect his prophetic value
in the present crisis of world economy.

Keith Hart

Dan S. Wang wrote:

> Hi Brian and Felix,
>
> This thread is fascinating, the issues alarming. Thanks for the excuse to
> post the following loose thoughts. Fallows leaves his analysis just where it
> gets most interesting, I think. And, maybe, where it becomes the most
> hopeful. Though, I must say, I'm with Brian--the 'most' hopeful scenarios
> compare favorably only to those we are hoping against.
 <...>