Scot Mcphee on Mon, 31 Mar 2008 02:38:23 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Brits in hock--or, Atlas shrugged again

On 27-03-2008, at 8:06 PM, Felix Stalder wrote:

> On Saturday, 22. March 2008, Brian Holmes wrote:
>> Reading a book called "China's New Consumers"--where
>> you find out that by comparison to the West, there really aren't
>> any--
>
> Apparently, it's not just because China is, overall, still a poor
> country that there are so few consumers, but a result of government
> policy, at least according to a great article which appeared in the
> Atlantic Monthly earlier this year. Below is a quote, but the whole
> article is worth reading.
>
> http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200801/fallows-chinese-dollars/

Later in that article the author talks about the role of the Chinese
sovereign funds and the purchase of airplanes and U.S. assets and the
like. I think it is important to note that the Chinese already are
apparently trying to use these funds for foreign policy ends. The
proposed attempt by BHP to buy Rio Tinto being the example. These two
companies are already the largest suppliers of raw minerals to the
Chinese manufacturers. Recently BHP has been a bit bolshie about the
prices it's getting for the iron ore in its forward contracts. The
Chinese of course certainly don't want to see a situation where all
their ore has to be bought from the one mega-sized mining monolith,
and bought nearly enough of RTZ to block at least a complete takeover.
The Chinese certainly take a 'long view' in their use of their
investment funds in their materials sources. For example a couple of
years ago they signed a huge natural gas deal which gave them a 25%
holding in the extraction company - and access to the extraction
technologies. It's not that the Chinese lack the natural resources,
they lack the sophisticated and very capital-intensive technology
needed to get the stuff out of the ground - my view would be they
actually value the extraction technology far more highly than the gas
itself. In 50 years that investment will pay itself off.

You would think though they could divert at least some of their funds
into some public infrastructure like schools, sewage, and parks
without completely draining their ability to wield their substantial
foreign investment clout.

As for the bigger issues, it is in fact a structural issue that the US
economy for at least two decades has been drawing funds in from all
over the world. It's a psychology issue - people perceive the T-Bond
specifically, and the US markets in general as being the most solid
and reliable investment one can make - the safest bet. Although Bush
is trying his hardest to break this perception with his general
incompetence in all areas -- especially his massive deficits to fund
the most wrong-headed war since 1918 (as well as the financial
institutions themselves with their ridiculously short-sighted greed
coming to burn their own backsides and evaporate confidence) -- in
reality that it will take more than a single President or a credit
crisis to realign the perceptions and the markets. But when this
realignment comes - as I think it inevitably must - it will be a
titanic shift in global power. Not necessarily in China's favour
either, because I think it's essentially chaotic, that is when the
system bifurcates and moves to a new zone of stability you can't be
sure which one of the available zones will be the new settling point.
For all we know Russia will be the big winner; it's also becoming
increasingly cashed up and it's major commodities - energy and
military hardware - will be in increasing demand.