chad scov1lle on Wed, 6 Aug 2008 19:45:23 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Olymp1c Amplificat10n

Hi All,

The past twenty-four hours in media have been certainly quite interesting
in light of the upcoming Beijing Olmp1c Games. Considering the images which
I have had the opportunity to review televised on American cable news,
syndicated print journalism, and most importantly internet-based media, the
next two weeks will be an extraodinarily unprecendented exhibition of
integrated politics, sport, and media hacking.

Probably the most powerful image that I have seen thus far is that which I
viewed while reviewing the BBC American Nightly News broadcast yesterday
evening. A segment concerning the Olympics included video footage of about
1000 Red Army Officers in dress uniform lined up in front of the Herzog &
de Meuron designed structure. This architectural object is seemingly
becoming the predominant centrifugal aesthetic vector representing the
games, based upon what I have seen in the media coverage thusfar.

I am looking forward to some highly interesting discussions on this subject
as we continue to see with both critical eyes and critical minds how the
events of the next two weeks unfold. I would even speculate that this is
the most significant media singularity since September 11th 2001.

In solidarity,

Chad Scoville