maxigas on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:42:33 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> received truths on wikipedia

hi!

as was said before wikipedia is working with 'received' truth that i not always a feasible model
-- one virgin poster makes the case that the mainstream media is manipulating the truth!
look also for references to Indymedia in the text.

ps: this is a part from the Talk: page of the Griots article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:2008_Greek_riots

maxigas

--8k--{snip..snip..}--8k--

Lykos667, please add citations for the things you posted. Even though they are probably true, they
are just speculations. PervyPirate (talk) 16:54, 7 December 2008 (UTC)

Greek Indymedia follows strictly the views of anarchists and far-leftists and is therefore not a
credible source on the matter. 79.103.187.216 (talk) 19:03, 7 December 2008 (UTC)

    All views shall be presented, even indymedia. Btw, BBC is also possitively oriented towards
    rightists; and this is evident by the content of its articles. It keeps saying "anarchists",
    although citizens and students of every ideology are furious with the incident that triggered
    the protests, and have taken part in them. Hectorian (talk) 19:33, 7 December 2008 (UTC)

        People who randomly burn down apartment buildings and stores kind of are anarchists, and
        their actions have no valid connection to what the police did or are doing. 88.112.161.124
        (talk) 12:29, 8 December 2008 (UTC)

PervyPirate, would you list the points that you feel need citations? As well as the type of
citations needed. If you are looking for citations from right-wing oriented sources, for instance,
that would be indeed hard to get. If you are looking for citations from official police
investigations that incriminate the police in the matter of illegitimate assistance, that would
also be quite hard to find... If you would be satisfied with video's that may serve as evidence
that support the "speculations", there may be a few on the internet and I will try to seek them
out. Again, these would have to be accompanied by a brief, disputable, explanation. For instance,
there is a video of the burning of the memorial to the unknown soldier in Athens during a protest,
where hooded individuals clearly seperated from the protesters attack the memorial in full view
and easy reach of the by-standing police forces, which do absolutely nothing. Would this be
satisfactory as evidence? Furthermore, in reference to the objection on citing an article on
Indymedia, if one care's to actually read the article, one will discover that it has a name
attached to it, and it is that of a University Professor. It is simply hosted on Indymedia. Please
forgive my sloppiness in the ways of the wiki, this is actually the first thing I've ever
posted. I felt I had to because your original post seemed to imply that the events that led to the
shooting were initiated by rampaging in the Exarcheia area, which not only was completely
unsupported by local news but lacks credibility since the area in question is considered home to
those that your post denotes as the rampagers. Since then your post has been updated and this flaw
has been removed. Nevertheless, I believe events are interpreted based on a background. The
background always exists. It seems to me that the background is formed through social
dissemination of information. The mass media is the main disseminator. All I did was to post
information that is not widely advertised through mass media. Therefore, I understand the need for
stating that my post needs some sort of supporting evidence, but I do not think it should be
cropped, as this leads to a cropped conveyance = no conveyance of this view. It should be removed
alltogether, or left as is while the supporting citations are being found. Lykos667 (talk) 11:54,
December 7, 2008. ???Preceding unsigned comment added by Likos667 (talk ??? contribs) 21:55, 7
December 2008 (UTC)

--8k--{snip..snip..}--8k--