geert lovink on Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:26:33 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Dave Winer: US govt a big user of Amazon web services

(OK, I am a long-term fan of Dave Winer, and have not fwd. each
posting of him to nettime... but in this case it might be relevant. I
do not mind if nettime will be a place for a while where we exchange
relevant info and ideas about Wikileaks in a broader context... Here
DW explains how he sees the dependencies of the US IT industry of the
US government. An old idea but nonetheless good to remind each other
that this is still the case. /geert)

Dave Winer: US govt a big user of Amazon web services

http://scripting.com/stories/2010/12/28/usGovtABigUserOfAmazonWebS.html

A couple of days ago Roland Boon, in a comment here, asked why not
believe Amazon's explanation for why they cut off WikiLeaks. I
explained that whether I believe or not isn't the question. It's
whether I trust them that matters. And will I hold back on what I say
about them for fear of being cut off?

That said, I think it's fairly obvious why Amazon cut them off. It's
the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

Let me explain...

Today I got a promotional email from Kay Kinton, Senior Public
Relations Manager for Amazon Web Services, entitled "Amazon Web
Services Year in Review." It contained a paragraph, quoted below, that
explains how their government business grew in 2010.

"Government adoption of AWS grew significantly in 2010. The Recovery
Accountability and Transparency Board became the first government-wide
agency to migrate to a cloud-based environment when it moved
Recovery.gov to AWS in March 2010. Today we have nearly 20 government
agencies leveraging AWS, and the U.S. federal government continues to
be one of our fastest growing customer segments. The U.S. General
Services Administration awarded AWS the ability to provide government
agencies with cloud services through the government's cloud
storefront, Apps.gov. Additional AWS customers include Treasury.gov,
the Federal Register 2.0 at the National Archives, the openEI.org
project at DoE's National Renewable Energy Lab, the Supplemental
Nutrition Assistance Program at USDA, and the Jet Propulsion
Laboratory at NASA. The current AWS compliance framework covers FISMA,
PCI DSS Level 1, ISO 27001, SAS70 type II, and HIPAA, and we continue
to seek certifications and accreditations that make it easier for
government agencies to benefit from AWS. To learn more about how AWS
works with the federal government, visit: http://aws.amazon.com/
federal/."

It makes perfect sense that the US government is a big customer of
Amazon's web services. It also makes perfect sense that Amazon
wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize that business. There might
not have even been a phone call, it might not have been necessary.

Update: Of course most tech companies do business with the US
government, and if they don't they probably want to. For example, a
couple of weeks ago, a story came out about the Army equipping every
soldier with an iPhone or Android phone. Not saying there's a
connection, but a week later Apple banned the WikiLeaks app from their
store.