Jean-Noël Montagné on Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:50:15 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Arts cut down

In France, the situation is also dramatic, we are into the complete berlusconization of culture and education. It started in 2002.

But nobody, except the press and conservative parties, can say it's because of a crisis: the fourty biggest french companies, gathered into the CAC 40 indicator, have had 82 billion (yes, billion) Euros benefits in 2010. Money is everywhere around us. They rule the governements, they rule the institutions, they rule some growing parts of our life, and they only see us as consumers, not human beings.

If this open fire against culture and education is not because of a crisis, it could be because they feel that their most powerfull political opponents are artists, hackers, educators and networked activists. It also explain their recent actions and meeting about filtering the web. Sarkozy was the initiator of the first E-G8, and, like China, asked the world leaders to set up centralized control over Internet.

Cutting funds for culture and education is the first step to prepare wars. But we are more clever, we can set up a better world without them, and Internet is one of the tools to do it.

JN

I think that the problem is bigger than just Holland.

[...]

Here in Spain the situation is also dramatic.