Newmedia on Mon, 5 Mar 2012 04:55:20 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Political-Economy and Desire

Brian:

> Mark, this one is truly fascinating. Send updates as you  go.

Thanks.  Here's some more . . .

The key question, I believe, is what happened to VIRTUE in these
socio-economic transitions.

As you know, the *four* "cardinal" virtues and, thus, the  foundation of
Western culture -- from Plato to Aquinas (i.e. 2000 years) --  are fortitude,
temperance, justice and prudence.

Industrialism(Capitalism) gets rid of THREE of these, since humans are not
expected to be just, prudent or temperate -- if their economic lives are
"ruled"  by desire.

The *only* virtue that remains "consistent" with political-economy is
FORTITUDE (i.e. power) -- so, very early, we wind up with the  necessity for
LEVIATHAN.  Thus, "social" violence becomes mandatory for  industrial economics.

Accordingly, this becomes the basis of "sociology" and, if you  will, the
invention of "society" as the *regulator* by Comte/Durkheim and  Weber/Simmel
et al, building on Kant et al.

Btw, this "narrowing" of the "moral options" is paralleled in "philosophy"
with the discarding of formal, material and final causality -- also
foundational  from Aristotle to Aquinas -- to the exclusive benefit of *efficient*
causality,  which is the "moral" equivalent to FORCE.

And, rarely discussed, this is also the reason for the strong attraction to
 MAGIC among key economic "personalities" (i.e. why those like John D.
Rockefeller J. Pierpont Morgan were *occultists*, as was Nietzsche!) -- since
summoning the "devil" is the ultimate expression of POWER.

> Maybe the cybernetics guys, with their interest in rationality,
> were also interested in power over entire populations: predictive
> power, the power to control.

Yes, that's correct.  I'm  particularly familiar with the "cybernetics"
people, since my father was in  the room when that term was coined (as a
protege of Norbert Wiener.)  What  "systems science" is all about (including
today's "complexity" approach,  as at Santa Fe Institute, Kevin Kelly et al) is
power over people -- even  when it is titled "Out of Control."

Btw, ironically, that is also why we know about Noam Chomsky.  He was
selected, funded and made "famous" by the systems/cybernetics guys at MIT
because they hoped that his ur-grammar could be used to "program" people.   It
isn't -- as Chomsky himself "revealed" in some very important debates (after
he got tenure).

Yes, I believe that *digital* technology is stimulating a *moral*
RENAISSANCE globally -- which is the reason for my re-reading the early
political-economists.

What the US is going through today is a "re-discovery" of the  multiplicity
of *virtue* as expressed in BOTH the Tea Party and OWS (i.e.  where the
"virtue" being emphasized for each is consistent with the ideologies  of each
of their "wings" -- "justice" for OWS and "prudence/temperance" for the  Tea
Party).

However, as the ancients understood, there is no VIRTUE in separating these
 qualities and excessive emphasis on any of them leads in the direction of
VICE.  Furthermore, none of this makes any sense without "grace," which, in
 turn, informs "natural law."

This DIGITAL *renaissance* of virtue also implies a revival of concerns
about *vice* -- which is what is happening with the "flesh hunt" for
corruption on the Chinese Internet, for instance.

As it turns out, this is also why the Chinese Premier cited both Marcus
Aurelius and Smith's "Theory of Moral Sentiments" to Fared Zarcaria on his TV
show last year -- as these are key documents in the "capitalist"
assertion/rationalization of the "solitary" virtue of *fortitude*!

The reason for my post was to take advantage of the wide-scope of reading
by those on the nettime list to see if there are contemporary
political-economists who are questioning the "calculus of desire" under  *digital*
economic conditions.

Has anyone started to question the assumptions behind  "politcal-economy"?
Guess not, based on your own research?

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY