Brian Holmes on Wed, 3 Jul 2013 02:28:35 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> NSA-spying-on-Europe outrage somewhat disingenuous

On 07/02/2013 08:32 PM, Marko Peljhan wrote:

Here in the US, more than half of the public opinion does not care much
about the fact that all of our communications and patterns are being
gathered and stored...it is an incredible reaction.

Ah ha, but the beauty is in the other half, no?

I mean, don't get me wrong, whenever I hear anyone of any nationality accepting massive surveillance as a fait accompli or worse, a "necessity," I not only despise them but also feel dark pessimism deep in my bones.

However the "mainstream" since 2011 is divided, the other half - which percent I am not sure - has an increasingly good basic knowledge of what's happening and is increasingly against it. Traveling around the world, Claire and I used to be impressed how much more just about anybody we would meet in the former East or Latin America knew about the global hierarchy than "our fellow Americans." Well, it is still true, but thanks to hacker and other efforts - and thanks to the visible naked power and greed of said hierarchy - things are changing.

I just say, let's change them some more. Nobody has to to teach you all how to be disabused, nor how to put out the facts and the perspectives that give facts meaning. Onward, then.

best, Brian-the cup-at-least-has-something-in-it,-no?-Holmes