Brian Holmes on Sun, 13 Apr 2014 18:54:16 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Douglas Belkin, Caroline Porter: Corporate Cash Alters

On 04/13/2014 01:54 AM, Patrice Riemens wrote:

More companies are entering partnerships with colleges to help design
curricula, as state universities seek new revenue and industry tries
to close a yawning skills gap.

Well, yeah, these are the trends that have been emerging since 2008. The corporations want people trained in exactly the kinds of technologies and business processes that they use, so they can hire and fire without having to invest in what they call "human capital." They also want prospective employees to be educated by Internet, so they can easily retrain, at their own expense, while in between jobs. To the extent the corporations retool universities to these ends, we are going to have a very different culture. Call it total neoliberalism.

Patrice, you once asked me why I bother paying attention to the university stuff when my own projects are all radical educational alternatives. Here's the reason why: If the corporate cash transformation is completed, there will be radically decreasing numbers of people who have any interest whatsoever in those radical alternatives.

For all those who believe that access to art, literature, critical philosophy and sociology, dissident science and liberation theology was poisoned by the university anyway, and that it will be much better if people just find it on their own, out of deeper human needs - well, we may get the chance to test your hypothesis!

onwards and upwards, Brian