Pavlos Hatzopoulos on Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:20:51 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Greek elections?

> On 01/28/2015 02:44 AM, Flick Harrison wrote:
>> The militant nationalism that Tsipras displayed by visiting the
>> Resistance memorial makes me think Syriza is stupid, or talking to
>> the stupid.  The fascist threat isn't rolling into Greece in
>> panzers; it's a few inches to the right of their coalition partners
>> ANEL.  Maybe this theatrical bow to violence was actually intended
>> for a far right audience, either to attract them, or threaten them,
>> or both?  Surely the Germans are inured to WWII references by now?

This is really too perverse a reading of this event. Syriza is
becoming the first truly European political party that has emerged in
the context of this freaky organisation we call the European Union.
One needs only to see how Syriza's political agenda is always-already
European. Its electoral success is inherently linked to the analysis
of the problem of Greek debt and of Troika austerity policies in
Greece as a European problem and to the imagining of building a
European movement against them. More so, it's proposed solution to
this problem is again inherently European: asking for a European
conference on debt to deal with the writing off of state debt in
several countries, demanding a new architecture for the Eurozone,
proposing some type of European new deal, etc. The worst case scenario
in the ongoing negotiations with the EU is that Syriza will be offered
some kind of compromise within the "national horizon" on easing the
Greek debt and the existing austerity policies, so that the larger
European problems can remain under the carpet. If Syriza takes this
possible deal, then it will be transformed to a regular national
political party.

One crucial question for the next months concerns the dynamics of the
relationship between the Syriza government and social movements in
Greece, and more importantly social movements in Europe. An interview
with Christos from the Solidarity4All network, and with whom I do not
totally agree, definitely deals with some aspects of this -
http://www.connessioniprecarie.org/2015/01/20/a-question-of-power-greece-syriza-and-the-institutions-on-the-move/

Concerning political issues that have troubled nettime from time
immemorial, there are also some optimistic voices on how Syriza will
pave the way to a commons oriented society -
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/will-syriza-pave-the-way-for-a-commons-oriented-society/2015/01/24

--
Mobile: (+30) 6937413112
http://www.schoolleadership.eu