nettime's_netizenry on Thu, 2 Feb 2017 16:34:03 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> will someone digest [x4: keenan, s0metim3s, miller, byfield]

Re: <nettime> will someone explain

     Thomas Keenan <keenan@bard.edu>
     s0metim3s <s0metim3s@gmail.com>
     Eric Miller <eric@squishymedia.com>
     "t byfield" <tbyfield@panix.com>

From: Thomas Keenan <keenan@bard.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 08:59:03 -0500
Subject: Re: <nettime> will someone explain

   Very short version, from a non-lawyer. The Congress makes the laws, the
   executive executes them, and the judiciary reviews them. Of course,
   much law can be made in a de facto way through rules, regulations,
   (non-)enforcement, administration, etc. The executive order, legally
   speaking, is a way for the President to execute existing law. But any
   EO can be overturned or nullified by Congress, or invalidated by the
   courts. Obama used EOs to get around an unfriendly Congress, and did
   not always succeed. Trump can use EOs to move more quickly, and seems
   confident that this Congress won't block them. We'll see about the
   courts.

   This is a good summary:

   https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/27/what-is-an-executive-order-and-how-do-president-trumps-stack-up/