John Hopkins on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 19:00:05 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Bioregions

Brian, Jan --

The river basin model is an old and sensible idea that has been suggested before -- one instance I am familiar with, as I now work some with water issues in the US West, was tabled by John Wesley Powell (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wesley_Powell for more background) who -- when the arid (technically 'desert') West was being colonized by white settlers -- noted the potential problems relating to water rights among those people (forgetting the fact that there were natives already there with significant experience in dry-land farming and basic sustainable irrigation!).

A chief complication, he saw, came when the land was being carved up into arbitrary geo-political regions (that were mostly political as opposed to being geographic or relating to the geography). He made a simple suggestion that was unfortunately already too late in the game in the late 1860s -- that was to base any/all geo-political boundaries on watershed boundaries, which would at least reduce the complicated problem of water rights to geographically-defined spaces that related directly to the resources itself. At that point in time, water was everything in the West -- there was no oil production, and until the advent of the reciprocating pump, people had to rely on surface water or shallow wells (no more that 15-20 meters). SO, water access was very limited spatially.

Powell's idea was never implemented, so now each geo-political unit fights with every other neighboring unit over water 'rights'. The only exception I know about in the US West is the 'asequia' system that goes back to earlier Hispanic settlements (now around 400 years old)... (http://www.coloradoacequias.org/acequias)

But the problem of the concept of bioregions is that they always seem to be the first step in chopping the environment up into pieces, rather than making the deep acknowledgement that a bio-region is never dis-continuous, nor does it have edges except as delineated by mostly short-sighted human conceptualization. On top of this conceptual problem is the reality of trying to re-organize peoples world-view to see the world differently -- even if you had the perfect indoctrination system, it would take, say, three generations (60 years) minimum to effect a simple, solid shift in awareness.

It is abundantly clear that with all human 'progress' very little 'connection' has been accepted across the natural system. That is, most science research starts by saying there is no connection between things unless proven empirically. I wonder what science would look like if the initial presumption was that everything is connected unless proven not so empirically! Naive, perhaps, but...

Jan wrote:

"i guess one way to look at it would be my immediate environment as the
extension of my body and the bioregion as the extension of the local
environment, inter-bioregions > ... > global > interplanetary etc"

This is the basic (living) systems model that James Greer Miller espoused: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Grier_Miller -- as a way of coping with/understanding scaled complexity and the interconnectedness of 'reality'... It is reductive, but as a general approach provides some mental tools for apprehending holistic systems. Any work that would promote this way of thinking would serve to de-power the typical rigid pigeon-holed approach to seeing the world...

JH