Juergen Fenn on Sat, 5 May 2018 14:56:53 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Please support the first global facebook user strike

Well, I quit Facebook on Quit Facebook Day back in May 2010 already, and
such activism today seems like going on a diet without much changing
your eating behaviour in the long run.

https://schneeschmelze.wordpress.com/2010/05/29/facebook-is-a-closed-shop-xvi-schlus/

I don't have any more social media handles ever since, and, by the way,
my friends have neither. Most of those still active on Facebook etc. do
it as a business only. However, I'm not into such businesses.

Amongst others, I teach cyberpolitics in adult education, and I find
that most of those who attend my classes never joined a social network
in the first place. They are rather critical of such platforms and want
to find out more about how they work, what is their impact on society,
and what they are doing with people's data. So, e.g., we talk about how
to use Tor and how to minimise the amount of data that is collected
about you and other people. I think that education matters when you
counter the monetisation of personal data.

Best,
Jürgen.