Francis Hunger on Wed, 31 Oct 2018 16:49:11 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Interview with Richard Stallman in New Left Review (September-October 2018)

Hi everybody,

I was a bit disappointed, that this kind of 'weak' Stallman interview
was published in the New Left Review. 'Weak' insofar as I can't see much
'leftist' in it.

My 2003 thesis-paper "Open Source – Open Gender" discussed critically
quite a fewissues regarding Open Source from a leftist perspective.
http://www.irmielin.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/francis_hunger_open_source_open_gender_english.pdf

Skip the introduction an jump to chapter "3.3. Free software as a
romping place for the prestige-conscious male", where using Bourdieus
framework I developed a critique. Of course my paper has aged. Yet it
also delivers another stream of critique than for instance the already
mentioned Tiziana Terranova and cerainly much more than the Stallman
interview.

Developed further with the early Donna Haraway and late Roswitha Scholz
into the dimensions of gender and labor, it discusses how the Open
Source community created a specific space for the re-creation of male
identiy and introduced shifts towards labor conditions. Some of these
things may have gradually changed over the years, other parts of that
paper still hold until today.

From Leipzig,

Francis

--