jan hendrik brueggemeier on Thu, 8 Nov 2018 14:31:30 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Fascist "trolls," meta

Dear list -

just to reiterate: AB was an alt-right hack of nettime? times certainly
are changing ... (apologies for the slow response).

i did find one website that mentioned his membership of Medborgerlig
Samling (Med) or Citizens' Coalition. i lack swedish language and
context understanding to get a clearer grasp (maybe someone else can
shed more light on them) - they seem definitely anti-immigration.
however, i would not have expected such political allegiance and it does
change things (at least in my mind).

as many hacks exploiting vulnerabilities does not need to be very
sophisticated to be efficient -- and i perfectly match the nettime
demographic being white, male, euro background, which seems to be one of
the "vulnerabilities" that was aimed for. some of of the "defense"
seemed IMHO also not very sophisticated, but that shouldn't really weigh
in much as i am 1) part of the demographic lens that has been exploited
in this hack and 2) the end result is what matters in the end. another
vulnerability may be (certainly on my end) complacency in this regard
i'd not would have expected to encounter alt-right "gedankengut" (ideas)
on nettime. so times definitely have changed in this matter.

in which way the engaging in this discussion was an act of assisting
with either the refinement of the language of the enemy and / or
recruiting, i find this hard to gauge as this is something which is more
likely to happen off-list and there were plenty of critique on-list -
but it did provide airtime for a week or more, which is a concern ...
but it did get addressed in the end.

ted mentioned many failings of nettime but ab trolling would not be one
of them and i would share his view. as every hack is an opportunity for
strengthening - what would that strengthening for the discussion culture
mean -- or is it about enjoying (or not) the ride while the fragility of
our niche online existence lasts?

+ @ Angela, thanks for the links i started reading my way through them ...

cheers,
jan