Dan S. Wang on Tue, 13 Nov 2018 23:24:30 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Fascist "trolls" and back on track

Dear Emaline and Alice,

Thank you for generous replies. Nobody's ever pinned down what may or many
not be attributed to consciousness unencumbered by four or five decades of
lived experience and memory, but I detect something vaguely optimistic in
both
your responses, an optimism that I sometimes have difficulty projecting.
Maybe it has to do with what Alice said, that for many in your age cohort
the call-out is so yesterday. That is good to hear, and I kind of see it.
Not only have people like Angela Nagle and now Haider offered some very
fair critiques, but I kind of see it in my own life. For example, in the
students I taught this summer and in the Millennial-heavy DSA meetings
I've been attending, people are very into developing a
class-consciousness, one that is informed by social difference in its very
core self-understanding. Reactive Suey Park-style shaming is over it
seems, or at least has died down into background noise. The new generation
proceeds with diversity as a fact, not an aspiration.

What Emaline says about the socializing as an attractive feature of
today's grassroots activism, that would be a welcome silver lining to the
toxic effects of social media. On a basic level the socializing was ever a
feature of insurgent political cultures, going back to the dances and
picnics of the early British trade unionists. If the socializing satisfies
presently in a new and different way because of our screen time, esp for
the young who know of no pre-Web world, then so much the better. Your
remark about it sometimes feeling like engagement boils down to a choice
between socializing or grant writing, well, that certainly speaks to a
compulsory professionalization that, to me, also seems like a symptom of
post-'89 (to take a convenient marker of time) neoliberalized work. This
is a condition at least equal to the movement problems I described,
probably a lot more harmful in terms of assembling mass movements.

Angela,

For the sake of simplicity, I admit that I probably overstated some of the
generational differences. But I am not sure what you mean by my
"historiography" ­ in relation to social movement history, most of what I
said is more or less settled, the broad turns, anyway. Further, I am just
trying to make sense of what I lived through and have observed, helped
along by texts by others that people can read, instead of just hearing
about my experiences.

>I mean, I understand your suggestion that "identity politics" is
>depoliticising, but I also don't understand it at all because the
>treatment of conflicts "over resources and labour" has always been
>conducted through more or less tacit assumptions about identity that
>link to entitlement. And your disappearance of white men's identity
>politics as a tacit default or "universal" has the effect of yielding a
>narrative that says (incorrectly in my view) that "identity politics"
>>only began when the former's claim of universality was challenged.

Also let me clarify, what I mean is that there is a tendency within
identity politics (which, simply put, I take to be a constellation of
discourses in different fields and disciplines, as well as in activist
settings, that foregrounds interpretations through the lenses of social
difference) to privilege moral status over questions of power. Obviously
there is slippage between "moral" and "power"; so much of the
intra-movement Civil Rights conversation was about that relationship
(because, yes, the Christian thing, etc).

But no, I did not and have never said that identity politics is
"depoliticising" in a blanket fashion. A tendency, not the whole. If my
original post did not make it clear, I myself, including much of my
activist history, am a product of the 1980s full emergence of identity
politics. Mine is a self-critique. Which is also to say, I never said the
younger generation "is doing it wrong." What I said was, we (including
myself) failed in transmitting the history. That so many, including Alice
and Emaline, are doing it RIGHT despite the failures of their leftist
elders, speaks volumes to the hope I have for the up and coming.

But yes to Marx as a writer, not a cult figure. But quite a writer he was.
Maybe you already went deep enough to read his articles on China and the
opium warring. Check out some of those dispatches if you haven't, just for
another angle on Marx and his times.
https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1853/china/index.htm

Thank you,

Dan w.