Keith Hart on Thu, 14 Feb 2019 22:53:25 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Why I have stopped reading about Brexit

Hi Patrice,

You are a brave man, but also very unlucky at least in terms of timing. This evening May was defeated when the ERG decided to pull the plug for the second time. This means that her ploy of suggesting that the Tory government is in control is rubbished. The EU negotiators have even less reason to listen to her and running down the clock is no longer an option. Parliament has a built in remain majority, if we rule out Tory and Labour two-party control . There is a vote on February 27 which will almost certainly rule out no deal and who knows what else is possible, even another referendum? We can't know the future, so it pays to stick with the facts which are by definition past, done with. This evening's fact was entirely unknown to me in advance and probably to you too. Like you I am fed up with it all, but I do have something concretely at stake. I could face a big medical bill soon and my right to live with my family in Paris and move around could be seriously impeded. My bet has always been that the UK will stay in the EU. At least I can get long odds on that.

Cheers,

Keith