David Garcia on Fri, 15 Feb 2019 11:48:44 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Why I have stopped reading about Brexit

Resolving the Brexican Standoff

Don’t stop just yet Patrice just the wrong moment as we come to the final episode of
series 1 of the neverending Brexit Box Set.

As we know May is playing Eastwood in the Mexican stand off in the Good the Bad and the Ugly a confrontation in
which no strategy exists that allows any party to achieve victory. As a result, as a result all participants need to maintain
 the strategic tension which remains unresolved until some outside event makes it possible to resolve it.

Surprisning that  event may just be the Cooper/Letwin Bill.

Forget the latest meaningless votes..amidst all the smoke and mirror distractions something constitutionally momentous
may be just around the corner.

If the past two years have demonstrated anything it is that the UK is a “parliamentary sovereignty” is a myth.
Despite her weak position we have witnessed the real power of the Prime Ministerial position, through the ability
to legislate and to control the parliamentary timetable has all served to demonstrate the power of the office of PM.

Parliament’s power is largely negative. It can block and sometimes amend but it cannot legislate. As the cliche goes “government
proposes and parliament disposes” (but can do no more). This is why May has been able to just carry on running down the clock.
despite the fact that there is no parliamentary majority for crashing out.

The PM can simply carry on pretending to negotiate while taking us to the brink so we will be forced to accept her rubbish deal.
All the talk of Parliament taking control has come to nothing as there was no obvious method of grabbing the steering wheel from May.
That is Until the Cooper/Letwin Bill that will come before the house on May’s return on Feb 27th.

The group behind the Cooper/Letwin are believed to be up to 10 ministers including cabinet ministers who will resign on mass
to back the bill. Which means there is a strong chance of getting this through the House of Commons thereby short circuiting
May’s “my way or the highway” “gun to your head” (choose your metaphor) strategy. What matters here is that what is proposed is a new
law that is designed to take power from the executive and re-locate it to the legisalture. This really is high noon because it is
technically the last point when law can be changed before the 29th. You can see this strategy outlined in Oliver Letwin’s speech
in yesterday’s debate where he talks about this as a historic moment when the natural order of the UK’s constitutional law is turned
on its head.. and in this case the Parliament will actually become the government and the cabinet.

Bearing in mind that Cooper is Yvette Cooper from the labour and Letwin is very senior Conservative what we could be seeing is the
beginings of a profound re-alignment of British politics. (that is even without the rumours swirling about Labour members on the brink
of resigning). How that will work in pracice is anybody’s guess but it looks like a government of national unity. Undercutting the leadership
of both parties. So Labour better clarify its own position in relationship to this possible outcome.

Of course it is quite possible that as with all the previous ‘high noon’ moments the remain lobby backs down and the ruthless May’s
Brexican Stand off strategy prevails.

So in summary Patrice although I agree that the Brexit Box Set has indeed somehow managed to be simultaneously boring and engrossing
in equal measure. But it could be that the final episode of series 1 could hold far more interesting twists and surprises that you have anticipated.

Best

David