Emery Hemingway on Sun, 7 Jul 2019 20:42:33 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> HCI

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 2:08:12 PM CEST, John Preston wrote:
The kinds of redevelopment I am talking about are ongoing, there is a
whole legacy of people doing research in a similar thread, so now I ask
why have we not yet realised such a project, or rather what is needed
for further development/research? I think simpler computing hardware,
even simpler than a RasPi, and then building up a custom environment
from there, might be part of the answer.

I think what we need most is more experiments in user interfaces by
artists and the craftsy software folk. There really are meaningful
improvements to be made in how we interact with computers and the
major players seem unconcerned with improving productivity (just look
at numbers on flat design[1]). I wish I knew more of radical design
work, the most recent to my knowledge is The Screenless Office[2].

I hope this is a topic that will take off on <nettime>, I am lucky
enough to work to full-time on an exotic system-level code, but it's
the hope of building new interfaces that I find most exciting.

E.

[1] https://www.nngroup.com/articles/flat-ui-less-attention-cause-uncertainty/
[2] http://screenl.es/