David Garcia on Tue, 20 Aug 2019 15:11:30 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> From Meat Loaf to Penalty Shoot Outs

-What Now-

For the time we have gone beyond a Govenment of National Unity (GNU).
as this option has run into the sand with Corbyn unable (as yet) to find the numbers
and all the other factions against no-deal have been able to
coalesce around an alternative candidate with enough cross party support.
This may well change in late September early October when procedural options
are exhausted and we are staring down the barrel of a gun. Then we might find
that tribal walls start to soften. In the mean time the main action will be with regard
to procedural maneuvers.

Once parliament reconveenes those against no deal and remainists will be placing their hopes
on a cross party coalition led by a combination of legal brains like Letwin, Grieve, Cooper and Benn
+ former cabinet heavy weights like Hammond, Gauke and Stewart who will work with a
sympathetic speaker to try an get control of the parliamentary time table to amend and legislate to
stom no deal (they are already plotting with the speaker behind the scenes).

BUT these maneuvers are as unpredictable as a 'penalty shoot outs’ and just as unpopular. So they might well
fail. As despite the arithmetic the government has the advantage that leaving the EU is the default legal position.
BUT most constitutional legal brains believe that it is rebuttable BUT it will take a huge effort of "coordination,
time and unanimity” (David Allen Green) among remainist MPs which they have as yet shown no sign yet of
displaying.

For all the wrong reasons the coming months will be ‘interesting’

David Garcia