podinski on Wed, 11 Sep 2019 19:44:48 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> 20 years of Indymedia: Where are we now ?!

Hi Tati et al,

a pleasure to read some news from ya...

+ thx for the link !

On 9/11/19 2:38 PM, tacira@riseup.net wrote:
> hi pod! long time no see, hi ingrid, tatiana from abya yala :)
>
> as for a long time user and educator on free technologies for creative
> media production I was a bit skeptical on the article -  we dont need to
> create one more leftist tool, but re-ocuppy with purpose and love all
> collective maintained tools - perhaps more influenced by intersectional
> poltics (I am reading Ocalan :) but the networkS are alive, dormant
> because NOT dispersed and very much re-creating itself all the time.
> free philosophy and ethics becomes just more urgent then ever! As Krenak
> an indigenous leader in brazil says we have been using "colored
> parachutes" in this fall "being able to maintain our subjectivities, our
> visions, our poetics about existence".
yes, well it is not hard for me to be critical about More leftist tools...
we are getting very lost - and abused - in all the tooling around.

And i think the article may point out clearly towards HOW we lost one
possible road that the net could have taken to network our communities,
solidarities and resistance...

I probably dont need to go into the details here of how that all got
co-opted and used in the creepiest of ways to consolidate power and turn
us all into its subjects and products.  ( Neo-liberal + libertarian
netz, surveillance krapitalism and all that mess )

IF the net can be reclaimed at all from the monstrous sprawl of
ill-intents...
it would probably require new architectures that cannot be easily
swallowed up by the Titans' toxic web.

As Rasmus Fleischer pointedly remarked at one of the recent
Transmediales : this is what a failed rev looks like.

I don't have any clear proposals for that, but that could be part of
what would make sense with this ((i)) anniversary...
to understand what we lost, and how we got where we are... and what
recourse makes sense now...

From an XLterrestrial perspective, it might be an important tactical
maneuver to get our feet back on the ground, locally...  and "shield
ourselves" from the fallout of having "lost the digital revolution" ...
and get more focused on our biological + ecological struggles.

XLt is perhaps far more optimistic about what we can achieve by learning
from the cultures of resistance in the global south... and outside all
the tech hype !
And not allowing the domination of tech environments to be our
surrogated means to imagining any new re-occupying strategies.

Just read yesterday an interesting story about Food Sovereignty and in
2011 Russia... 40% of the food came from Dacha gardens...

"dacha gardens produced over 80% of the countries fruit and berries,
over 66% of the vegetables, almost 80% of the potatoes and nearly 50% of
the nations milk, much of it consumed raw. "

http://naturalhomes.org/naturalliving/russian-dacha.htm?fbclid=IwAR1ia40bjy-j6-1H8DnGejakGBeg0Gn1VqED6sjk5A6sN8KOGg35hyn7pkE

havent checked out the accuracy of this, but the shift in topics +
organizational objectives...  seems very revelant !

Just last year Chaos Congress teamed up with FifF and others to put on a
conference called Bits Und Baume ( and trees ) to finally take seriously
the ecological consequences of the poorly miscalculated unsustainability
of all our endlessly expanding high tech cultures.

It only took 35 years for CCC to get around to this crucial topic... ;)
... but i think some good things are coming together for further
investigations into realistic terrestrial-based missions ... and less in
"hackers on the moon".

https://bits-und-baeume.org/en

Lastly,
to emphasize my points...

i leave you all with this talk from Boaventura de Sousa Santos ...
at HKW's Now is The Time Of Monsters : What comes after Nations... in
2017...

( which followed a talk from Felix Stadler on Protocols - and tech - for
Democracy? )

And it might be a useful reminder to help put things into proper
perspective and more productive debates...
and more paying attention to what we don't necessarily see on our (Euro)
screens...

things that are working ... outside those corporate, futurist +
industrial hives !

Staatstechnologien - Democracy | Boaventura de Sousa Santos
https://www.hkw.de/de/app/mediathek/video/55789

"converting ruins into seeds"

and i love the last line...

"i want us to be competent rebels !"