Alan Sondheim on Sun, 3 Nov 2019 22:31:03 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Facebook

The loss is more important to me; the community functions as best an online community can. I'm connected with all sorts of other networks as well such as Furtherfield, ELO, etc. What I find worse and more problematic is the university system including publications - I can't afford most books that are advertised for example (which is why the Alexandria project was so important for me); I go to conferences if I can get a stipend, etc. American intellectual life is more of a divide for a lot of people than Fb.

(Of course it also depends how intelligently one uses Fb; I put in a lot of controls, use blocking, etc.)

- Alan