Heidrun Allert on Wed, 18 Mar 2020 16:30:26 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> FWD: re: switching to teaching online

Dear Andreas,

I loved your post. And would like to add to that:

I am irritated when policy makers in this situation say things like:
"now we see drawbacks for not having digitized schools/universites in
time". I am irritated as there are at least two misunderstandings:

(1) There is _one_ form of digitalization. (2) And this form is the
one we want for schools and universities!

The form of digitalisation which often is in mind is: Broadcating,
streaming and individualized learning. Learning which can be done
at home / away from schools. Is this really what we want? Types of
learning and tools which make schools obsolete, students relying on
their families and background (expanding disparity)? Forms which are
also well provided by private players of data capitalism? Forms of
gamification and knowledge acquisition where knowledge and knowledge
structure is predefined - knowlege and knowledge structures which
refere to a stable past world.

In contrast to this I want something else: When I do digitalisiation
in my courses, I prefer forms of digitalisation which bring a new
quality to my teaching. Which enhance our interaction. Which allow
for more research-based approaches. Which take into account the world
as transforming. Where we meet f2f, analyse data collaboratively and
discuss findings, e.g.

best, heidrun