Hoofd, I.M. (Ingrid) on Wed, 18 Mar 2020 16:36:55 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> FWD: re: switching to teaching online

Dear Andreas and all,

That's a bunch of bollocks.

Universities ARE exploiting us through our sense of care and duty for our students, whether we teach online or not.

Education IS meaningful in the face of what humanity faces, just as is helping the kids next door with the groceries for grandma. Just as literary studies is as important for humanity, for sociality, for emotional support (albeit in a different way), as medical research. There is no need to 'choose' between one or the other.

If there is any reason NOT to bother too much with online teaching, it is because of the mere fact that ONLINE TEACHING DOES NOT REALLY WORK; it is poor teaching. It lacks the physical nearness, the group 'networking', the thinking-together in one space, the sense of rapport, the emotional - and yes, at times even erotic - tensions in the classroom and between supervisor and supervisee. Online teaching can only ever be a temporary stopgap, but is still better than nothing at all.

Teachers online doing their care work for their students everywhere in the world now: respect.

Cheers, Ingrid.

-----Original Message-----
From: nettime-l-bounces@mail.kein.org <nettime-l-bounces@mail.kein.org> On Behalf Of Andreas Broeckmann
Sent: Wednesday, 18 March 2020 12:16
To: nettime <nettime-l@kein.org>
Subject: <nettime> FWD: re: switching to teaching online

Rebecca Barrett-Fox offers thoughtful advice for lecturers and professors considering to move their teaching online:

Please do a bad job of putting your courses online

I’m absolutely serious.

For my colleagues who are now being instructed to put some or all of the remainder of their semester online, now is a time to do a poor job of it. You are NOT building an online class. You are NOT teaching students who can be expected to be ready to learn online. And, most importantly, your class is NOT the highest priority of their OR your life right now. Release yourself from high expectations right now, because that’s the best way to help your students learn.

If you are getting sucked into the pedagogy of online learning or just now discovering that there are some pretty awesome tools out there to support students online, stop. Stop now. Ask yourself: Do I really care about this? (Probably not, or else you would have explored it earlier.) Or am I trying to prove that I’m a team player? (You are, and don’t let your university exploit that.) Or I am trying to soothe myself in the face of a pandemic by doing something that makes life feel normal? (If you are, stop and instead put your energy to better use, like by protesting in favor of eviction freezes or packing up sacks of groceries for kids who won’t get meals because public schools are closing.)

Remember the following as you move online:

... read on here:

https://anygoodthing.com/2020/03/12/please-do-a-bad-job-of-putting-your-courses-online/