Frank Rieger on Mon, 11 Jan 2021 14:03:50 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Left Needs a New Strategy

> On 10. Jan 2021, at 22:56, Dmytri Kleiner <dk@telekommunisten.net> wrote:
>
> Meanwhile, the “old left” we made fun of, the “authoritarian” and “out of date” mostly brown and yellow “Tankies” of the world, like the Communist Parties of China, Cuba, Vietnam, North Korea, the “pink tide” in Latin America, Marxist movements like MAS, MST, NUMSA, etc, have made incredible progress for humanity. Progress that is measurable, undeniable, and desperately needed.

Its the 70s all over in the confused left, now with Xi-fanboys and Dengists instead of Maoists. How boring.

Having lived in East Germany (where we lived at the pinnacle of socio-economic progress in the countries aspiring to achieve socialim) I have learned one thing: any movement and government has to be judged by the means by which it tries to achieve progress. Suppression and criminalization of "divergent" art, relationships, thought and publishing being justified with the greater goal: I had that already in my life. So I suggest the (mostly US-american) Xi-fans who find that attractive go live in one of their dream countries for a bit. I for one came to the conclusion that the "oh my, the few million undesireables that did not make it through the land reform are not that important in the long term..."-ideology is not left and will not lead to a better life for the oppressed.

China is just another imperialist racist state that happens to be the enemy of the other large imperialist racist state, the US. I can understand the need for a shining beacon of hope for the left. China & Co. are not it.

Thanks & Greetings from Berlin,

Frank