Dmytri Kleiner on Mon, 18 Jan 2021 21:22:33 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Left Needs a New Strategy

On 2021-01-18 20:26, Brian Holmes wrote:

Why don't we all just cool out? I am glad to bury the hatchet. It's
also possible to simply not read what one has no patience for.

Yes, and when we talk in person, social cues, back channel and nonverbal communications enrich the dialog, reducing the negative effects of bias and missed cues.

As always, I'm open to moderation and ready to self-crit, there's almost never a hatchet I'm unwilling to bury.

So, for those with the patience to engage, the essence of the arguments I'm putting forward lay in dialectical materialism and proletarian internationalism. Which, in less arcane language, means working directly on concrete problems directly with the people facing them in iterative cycles, and insisting on respectful engagement with our comrades abroad, deferring the resolution of their contradictions to them rather than judging and denouncing from afar, and confronting our own countries aggression against them.

This is a strategy.

As mentioned, this strategy has a distinguished and interesting pedigree, with roots in Mao, Fanon and Che, a solid trunk in Dewey, Freire and Foster, and modern flowers in everything from McAlevey to Lean UX, as well as a domesticated parallel construction in Business Management Thoery, especially Goldratt and Deming.

If all this is boring, I'm not sure what this list finds interesting anymore.

--
Dmytri Kleiner
@dmytri