John Young on Wed, 20 Jan 2021 16:14:30 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The List needs a new Topic

Change of topic is venerable group-censorship, aka sanctimonus moderation, autocratic cowardice, clusterfuck. Usually instigated by an unindicted co-conspirator, eager beaver undercover, paid informer, junior TA, tenure aspirant, deft sucker-up. No shit, the hoary, whorey, technique is explained for those lusting for approbation:

https://cryptome.org/2012/07/gent-forum-spies.htm

Must jump to say none of the stellar contributors here are to be granted pardon.

At 08:53 AM 1/20/2021, you wrote:
On 2021-01-20 09:59, Geert Lovink wrote:

the authoritian grip of the Xi regime is only further tightening.

I'm really done with this discussion here, but with all due respect, comments like these are comically ridiculous. I'm finished trying to explain why, I feel I have tried. Anybody that wants to talk further, please feel free to reach out.

In the meantime, please see these resources, all of which are published by people I know personally and have spent time with, so while I in no way speak for them, I have some insight into how they feel and what they think:

- https://www.thetricontinental.org
- https://www.newframe.com
- https://peoplesdispatch.org
- https://www.newsclick.in
- https://ruralindiaonline.org

These are my comrades, as much as I would like for all of you to be my comrades also, as I have met and worked with so many of you, so long as you perpetuate a climate of toxic chauvinism with pompeo-level blanket denouncements, you are burning any bridges possible with these communities, and this is profoundly disappointing to me.

If there is one thing you are able to hear from my comments, just know that denouncements like the one Geert makes above means that the communities those publications emerge from will feel unwelcome and looked down upon here.

If there is any desire to "extend the nettime project" then this culture of intolerance to the views of so many people will not help. For my own part, I am so glad that the telekommunisten project, born in the hacker, activist and media art circles that many of us share, has led me to be in contact with these communities, and I will now go where they lead, even if that means, sadly, walking away from some of you.

--
Dmytri Kleiner
@dmytri