Andreas Broeckmann on Mon, 15 Apr 96 16:03 MDT

nettime: Nazis on the Internet

Forwarded Message from D.M.Bloyce <D.M.Bloyce@sheffield.ac.uk>:

"Just yesterday B'nai B'rith's annual report ( Canada) on hate and
racism located the net as the one source of exploding and
uncontrollable dissemination of hate mail. I feel strongly that
every NO vote on the formation of a neo-Nazi newsgroup is a public
and civilized blow against a pernicious, evil movement.

Please vote to affirm society's rejection of neo-Nazis.  Please
distribute the following message as you deem appropriate. A group
of neo-nazis are trying to form a newsgroup on Usenet called
rec.music.white-power, so that they can get their message of hate
out to young people using the Internet.  Newsgroups are public
discussion areas on the Internet and their formation requires enough
support from the Internet community.

EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU HAS ONE VOTE when it comes to creating a
new Usenet group. I hope you will vote NO and thereby tell these Nazis
you don't want their stuff on the net. Below is the procedure,
please repost my plea and get the NO vote out. This is my personal
opinion.  If you want to see the official call for votes, you can
read in news.groupor ask me for a copy of the notice calling for
votes. Do _not_vote twice - that would constitute voting fraud.

HOW TO VOTE:

Send E-MAIL (posts to a newsgroup are invalid) to:

        music-vote@sub-rosa.com

 This is an impartial, third-party vote taker.

Do not REPLY to THIS message, if you are trying to vote.
Please do not assume that just replying to this message will work.
Check the address before you mail your vote.  Your mail message
should
contain only one statement:

        I vote NO on rec.music.white-power

 I REALLY HOPE YOU VOTE NO!

Vote counting is automated.  Failure to follow these directions
may mean that your vote does not get counted.  If you do not
receive an acknowledgment of your vote within three days contact
the votetaker about the problem.  It's your responsibility to make
sure your vote is registered correctly.

Here's what Canada's George Burdi, of the neo-Nazi Heritage Front, had
to say about this vote, on February 21, on his RESISTANCE
mailing list:
      "There is a call for votes coming on rec.music.white-power
in the next week or so, and you will be notified in a special
issue of RREN exactly what to do.  FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE
LETTER.  Let me be perfectly blunt and state that we have more than
enough "net-nazis" to win this thing hands-down.But every one of you
must vote YES!  And just voting yes means nothing unless you do it
properly. So you have been forewarned.  The instructions are coming
to your email box soon, and they are not complicated.  Just follow
them as told, and we will have a WP music newsgroup finally!"

If Mr. Burdi's confidence disturbs you, please give this
letter the widest possible distribution, and help us deliver the
largest NO vote in the history of UseNet. If you would like more
detailed information on why you should vote no, check out
http://nizkor.almanac.bc.ca - although it should be noted that the
Nizkor Project has no connection to this personal plea.

END MESSAGE

V2_Organisatie * Andreas Broeckmann * abroeck@v2.nl
Eendrachtsstr.10 * NL-3012XL Rotterdam * t.+31.10.4046427 * fx.4128562

online in Berlin from February - April 1996.
Wildenbruchstr.4, D-12045 Berlin, t/f.+49-30-6884834/-6884558