Matthew Smith on Tue, 16 Apr 96 12:54 MDT

nettime: Hypernation

But it is really the irony of the title *Hypernation* which makes
it interesting and useful --  it also reminds us that it is a
discussion taking place within the context of an artwork/artproject.
Hypernation is a network sculpture! Its product could and should
be a new way of understanding territory and space.

isnt it a bit anachronistic?

It is true that at least the concept of nation/nationality/mother-tongue is
perpetuated into the net, but is it desirable?

in the irc-community one can find a channel for almost every connected
country. the main attraction of these channels is the fact that most of
the conversation is held in the respective language of the nation it
represents, so most of the users naturally are members of that
national/ethnical group.maybe this is the first first step towards
this "concept" of hypernation, but it seems to be dissolving, as people
move from channel to channel - from #drugs to #singapore to #rapesex to
#courtnee to #austria etc... - to make friends, discuss motorcycles or flame
the shit out of somebody.

it doesnt seem to have the qualities of a sculpture, at least 99% of the
users definitely dont percieve it in that way. it much more resembles the
the corny ideas of the "matrix" proposed by W.Gibson & his colleagues,
than most of the intellectuals and theoreticians would like.

this seems to be so, as a majority of the users of irc are
asian, european, american 20something (many women/girls) or
younger - as opposed to the 30something primarly white male users of
only e-mail and www - that have some financial/social background which allows
them access to the net. They dont worry too much about losing their national
traditions/identity - MTV is "global", at least as global as the
internet. and their use of the medium is quite unreflected,
nobody is talking about the "cultural revolution that is happening"
or "the ultimate democracy that is the internet". the revolution happened
20 years ago, and democracy is nowhere in sight, as there is nothing to
decide on the net. people still live in their respective
nations are obliged to comply the local law/political system. the net
will never change that. states will change, but the net is only a
symptom for corporate interest slowly overriding national intentions...

all this discussion about "how the world is changing" is not relevant for
most people from my generation - i was born 1974 - and the next
generations, as many of us grew up with computers and cable-tv, and we
are all living these changes. we dont need to reflect on how the PC
changed the world, for the people 3 years younger than me, the PC is as
common as the compact-disc. i never owned a record-player, when i started
to buy music, i bought CDs. i cant divide without a calculator, and i
cant imagine anybody seriously writing a text of this length without
typewriter.

so, maybe we can move on to more important things than
nations&sculptures on the net, and do something approriate;)

no offense intended
matt smith