t byfield on Sat, 14 Sep 96 19:51 METDST

nettime: Re: LEXIS-NEXIS...

At 11:56 AM -0500 on 9/14/96, MediaFilter wrote:

<...>
> >Your name, social security number, current address, previous addresses,
> >mother's maiden name, birth date and other personal information are now
> >available to anyone with a credit card through a new Lexis database called
> >P-Trax. As I am sure you are aware, this information could be used to commit
> >credit card fraud or otherwise allow someone else to use your identity.
<...>

        Actually, PTRAX carries almost none of this information, and LN
releases less than they carry; of course, it's only one of _many_ such
databases which, collectively, form a nightmare--and by nightmare I don't
mean credit card fraud or impersonation. But, really, if people are going
to get their knickers in a twist over something like this, why not TRW or
EquiFax?
        (Also, this is of little interest to most nettimers--it's a US thing.)

Ted