t byfield on Sun, 6 Apr 1997 21:14:57 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> when's net.discourse not.net.discourse?

Not the usual nettime fare, but...

Several months ago, I posted a series of notes to nettime questioning how
worthwhile the very idea/phrase "net discourse" really is, and asking
*what* it is. For example, like the distinction held on
news.admin.net.abuse.* school between "abuse *on* the net" and "abuse *of*
the net," is "net discourse" something written on the net or something
written about the net? or both? is it critical approaches transplanted to
the net? a culmination of certain theoretical traditions in one of the
above-mentioned things?
	I'm tempted to think that if there *is* a "net discourse," it's
written in machine code and operates (obviously) within the sphere of human
activity but beyond our ability to "read" it directly: it consists of bots,
of recursive structures in intramachine dialectics, of the formal shifts
that are introduced into dialog, and so on. One way to read this
"discourse," though, is to watch what happens when its structure-events
break free of their technical basis-domain and become *specifically
effective* beyond that domain and its logic--in what people lazily call
"RL," Real Life. (This is what nettime is about, in many ways, yes?)
	The subject is fascinating, to me at least; but specific instances
("events," as the historians say with a sneer) are much more interesting
than ideological-theoretical claims about what net discourse "is."
	We're in an awkward position at the moment: we're coming out of period
in which systematic-theoretical historical and historiographical methods
have prevailed for decades--they have trained us. But we're looking at a
very new and unfamiliar terrain, which pushes us back in the direction of
naive positivisms and exciting stories with heroes and villains. Compound
these problems with the fact that the terrain we're looking at *consists*
of *automating* the ideas--making them systematically effective--that,
until now, were only as effective as the human agency that carried them
out. Put simply, there's a big difference between chopping someone's head
off and pushing an irrevocable nuclear button; more and more of our
activities are beginning to resemble the latter, in method if not in
consequence.
	So here's a specific case that's come up recently, which I think is
particularly dense and interesting, as far as these issues are concerned:

	As a few nettimers will remember firsthand, somewhere between years
and months ago, someone named Jim Bell began very aggressively promoting on
the Cypherpunks mailing list a "hypothetical scenario" he had imagined,
which he called "Assassination Politics" (his original essay, i think, is
available at <http://www.infowar.com/class_1/BELL1.html-ssi>); most of the
debates about it are in the Cypherpunks archive at
<http://infinity.nus.sg/cypherpunks/>,if you have a few weeks of free time
on your hands... By most accounts, his ideas were a tangle of juvenile
sophistry, technical speculation, philosophical idealism, and petty
kookiness. The idea was, basically, this: advances in certain kinds of
cryptography had enabled people to make financial transactions with
absolute guarantees of anonymity--so, he argued, a time would come very
soon in which people would anonymously "bet" when unpopular or abusive
government officials and agents would die, and whoever came closest would
"win," i.e., collect all the money that had been bet in a particular case.
This was his ironically legalistic way of advocating assassination for hire
without admitting to it. For months he argued that such a system would be
legal, and that it would produce a better, more responsible form of
government. In my opinion, he was glib, stupid, irritating, and evil; his
values and goals were bad, and his cowardly, "clever" use of futuristic
"fiction" only made his ideas that much more dangerous.
	A few days ago, agents of the US government raided his house and
carted off all his computer equipment. The first reports of this event can
be found in alt.cypherpunks; Declan McCullagh's story on the event can be
found at <http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/editorial/0,1012,800,00.html>.
Here's a short article I wrote in response to these remarks. ("RG" stands
for Rich Graves <rcgraves@disposable.com>; "DM" stands for "Declan
McCullagh" <declan@well.com>.)

Ted
---