Wolfgang Staehle on Sun, 23 Nov 1997 23:41:21 +0100 (MET)

<nettime> The Mattel Crackdown

A few weeks ago, a scattershot intimidation attempt by lawyers for Mattel,
Inc. caused numerous sites featuring the Mattel trademark doll BARBIE to
shut down or alter their sites significantly.  THE THING received the
following letter on October 28:

---quote-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                             WILLIAM DUNNEGAN
                             ATTORNEY AT LAW
                             720 FIFTH AVENUE
                          NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10019

                            October 21, 1997

Mr. Wolfgang Staehle
THE THING International
601 West 26th Street
New York, NY 10001

                       Re: Barbie Trademark Dilution

Dear Staehle:

       I am an attorney for Mattel, Inc.

       As you may know, Mattel owns the trademark BARBIE, as well as
numerouis federal registrations for that mark.  The BARBIE trademark has
been used consistently since at least 1959.  In connection with that use,
Mattel and its licensees have sold billions of dollars of merchandise.
BARBIE is therrefore an extraordinarily valuable and famous trademark.

       I am writing because Mattel has learned that you are sponsoring the
following page on the Internet.

http://www.thing.net/~gh/artdirect/homey.html

There can be no doubt that this page unlawfully dilutes the BARBIE
trademark in violation of 15 U.S.C. section 1125(c).

       In addition to pursuing whatever additional rights it may have
under law, Mattel demands that you (i) immediately take whatever steps are
necessary to remove this page from the Internet and (ii) confirm to me in
writing within 5 business days that you have done so.

       We await your response.

                                       Sincerely yours
                                       [signed]
                                       William Dunnegan

---end

The site in question is the work of NY artist G.H. Hovagimyan and clearly
qualifies as a parody.  It is interesting that Mattel decided to go after
the ISPs first and not after the authors and owners of the pages. Note how
they try to insinuate that the ISPs "sponsor" these pages.

This not-so-subtle attempt to hold providers liable scared Interport (a
local NY service provider) into demanding the removal of a personal
website from one of its users.