nettime's_digestive_system on Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:10:23 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Austin Public Library... [McCullagh, Cisler]

Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:23:45 -0500
From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Austin Public Library With Cyber Patrol Blocks
  Academic Article

While it's a shame that CyberPatrol is blocking access to this site, the
program's overbreadth has been known for some time. An article I coauthored in
mid-1996 was the first to document the filter's hypercensorial wackiness:

http://www.eff.org/pub/Publications/Declan_McCullagh/cwd.keys.to.the.kingdom.0796.article

As for the constitutionality of filtering software in a public library, check
out:

http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/16455.html

Judge: Library Filters Must Go
by Declan McCullagh

Public libraries in a Virginia county may
not install filtering software, a federal
judge ruled Monday in a widely watched
case that has become the first to
determine how US libraries will control
Internet access.  [...]