Peter Haefner on Fri, 4 Jun 1999 01:49:30 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Germany Frees Crypto - the translation

On 2 Jun 99, at 14:58, John Young wrote:

> The German cabinet today released a policy statement on
> the unrestricted use of encryption (an English translation
> would be welcome):
>
>    http://www.bmwi.de/presse/1999/0602prm1.html

Here you are. All the faults are mine however German bureaucrats do
have their own type of rather dull language as you are going to find out.
And please bear in mind that I'm no native English speaker ;-)

---------------------------

Federal Ministry of the Interior
Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs and Technology
Bonn, June 2 1999

Cornerstones of German Encryption Policy

The Federal Cabinet agreed on the German position on the use of
cryptographical methods in e-commerce in the form of “Cornerstones of
German Encryption Policy”.

The government followed the necessity to take position in this nationally
and internationally vital question important for business and e-
commerce. Security problems are on the rise with growing traffic on the
net. Experts are estimating the losses caused by espionage,
manipulation, or damaging of data by billions. Data security is becoming
a serious issue with global competition and because of that is affecting
jobs in respective businesses.

Improved protection of German users on the net by means of better
encryption methods is the main concern of this decision. It states
clearly that cryptographic methods and products are furthermore
permitted to be developed, produced, and used without any restrictions.
The yet low awareness towards this issue shall be raised by this
decision. The initiative “Security On The Net” by ministries of economic
affairs and interior is meant to serve the same purpose
<http://www.sicherheit-im-internet.de>

Another main aim of the German federal government is to strengthen
productivity and international competitiveness of the German suppliers
in encryption business which are likely to intensify their efforts with
regards to a growing demand. The further opening of the European
single market is serving the same purpose: Germany together with its
European partners abolished supervision of encryption mass products
exported within the EU by revising the EU-dual-use-decree.
Simplification of export supervision procedure are under examination by
the Bundesausfuhramt (federal export agency?)

With the use of cryptography on the raise improper use can’t be ruled
out. Therefore the involved ministries will be watching further
development thoroughly and deliver a report after 2 years. Efforts to
improve the technical equipment of law enforcement agencies are
underway.

With this well-balanced position the federal government met the
requirements for Germany being a secure and productive site in the
information age.

Cornerstones of German Crypto Policy

Preface
Hard- and software for message encoding remained until the beginning
of the 90-ies a negligible niche market. However this niche market is
now of considerable importance to the economic and social
development in the information age. The input ”information” is developing
more and more into a much demanded raw material. Effectively
protecting this asset could can be crucial to corporate success and
thus determine on prospective employment. This protection today can
be effectively ensured only by use of strong encryption tools.

Controversy on encryption in Germany
The controversy on encryption is about whether or not and to which
extent cryptography should be restricted by law. This point has been
discussed recently in many democratic industrial countries in a
controversial way. An intensive argument took place in Germany too,
with several ministries, industry, and numerous social groups
participating.

In October 1997 the federal cabinet passed the ”Federal report: Info
2000: Germanys way into the information age”, containing a passage on
cryptography:

”The Federal Government agrees on waiving to regulate by law the trade
and use of cryptographic products and methods. Thus the unrestricted
freedom of users with choosing and use of encryption systems remains
not affected. The Federal Government will watch further development in
the field of cryptography thoroughly particularly within a European and
international context. Further measures to reach its goals will be taken
if necessary. ”

So far the Federal Government has not taken stand definitely and
unequivocally.

Cryptography and economic interests
Due to the dynamic development of digital business dealings the
markets for encryption products note high growth rates. Besides the
traditional protection of confidence by now encryption systems are
mainly used e.g. for digital copyright protection, digital signatures, and
digital cash. Beyond this cryptography is a cross-section-technology
indispensable for architecture and development of complex e-commerce
applications. Indirectly much bigger markets are concerned like e.g.
telecommunication, online-banking, or tele-medicine.

It’s true that present-day security standards, few years ago affordable
only to large-scale enterprises and administration, are now within
means of medium-sized and small enterprises as well as private
households. But still in Germany cryptography is not used in the
required degree. The necessary security awareness is lacking
frequently even though considerable losses can be caused by
espionage, manipulation, or destruction of data. German crypto
manufacturers would have a good chance of keeping up with
international competition, if appropriate conditions are ensured. In view
of the strategic meaning of the cryptographic sector many important
industrial states spare no effort in order to strengthen their economical
and technical capacities.

Cryptography and security interests
Cryptographic methods are of outstanding importance for efficient
technical crime protection. That applies to ensuring of authenticity and
integrity in data traffic as well as protection of confidence.

On the other hand protection of confidence is in favor of perpetrators:
With cryptographic applications becoming more user-friendly spreading
into criminal circles has to be expected. This could cause serious
problems for law enforcement. Lawful surveillance ordered by a court
has to remain effective even if the target guards concerned information
with a cryptographic system.

Up to now abuse of encryption constitutes no serious problem for law
enforcement. However there can’t be derived a forecast from this. It is
necessary to actively examine possible consequences with regard to
the specific needs of law enforcement and national security to early
identify any undesirable development and take effective action against
them based on alternative strategies.

With the recent national discussion as well as the international
development as foundations the Federal Government agrees on the
following cornerstones of encryption policy:

The Federal Government is not intended to restrict the general
availability of cryptographic products in Germany. It recognizes the
crucial importance of secure encryption for data protection, development
of electronic business dealings, and protection of corporate secrets.
Therefore the Federal Government will actively support spreading of
secure encryption in Germany. This is meant to particularly promote
awareness on security issues among business, administration, and
private people.

The Federal Government aims at strengthening users to trust in
cryptographic security. It will take measures to establish a trust
framework for secure cryptography, particularly by improving the ability
to check cryptographic products on security and recommending of
qualified products.

The Federal Government considers the capability of German
manufacturers to develop and manufacture secure and powerful
cryptographic products as crucial to security of nation, business, and
society. It will take actions to improve the international competitiveness
in this field.

The legal authority of law enforcement and security agencies to keep
telecommunication under surveillance shall not be eroded by
dissemination of strong methods for encryption. Therefore the
competent ministries will be watching further development thoroughly
and report after 2 years. Irrespective of that the Federal Government will
support improving technical competence of law enforcement within the
bounds of its possibilities.

The Federal Government sets a great store by international cooperation
in the field of encryption. It stands up for market developed open
standards as well as interoperable system and will speak up for
strengthening of multi- and bilateral cooperation.