nettime_announcer on Tue, 7 Dec 1999 18:59:47 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> announcer 99.49 [b]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
                                                                   | 9 9 . 4 9 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  b <<

                                                                         - - - -
      Swiss Institute <swissins@dti.net> : SI/NY Program December 1999   | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
                                       EMAF <info@emaf.de> : EMAF 2000   | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
                      NOMADS <nomads@nomadnet.org> : AUDIOPHFILE v.2.0   | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
              Monika Fleischmann <fleischmann@gmd.de> : MEMORIA FUTURA   | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
netart@parsons.edu : open source, proxy - on netart conditions - panel   | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
     Dimos Dimitriou <addfield@ath.forthnet.gr> : Call for submissions   | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
               Station Rose <gunafa@well.com> : webcast FAHRPLAN 89-91   | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

For Immediate Release
December 1999

Exhibition December

November 11, 1999 to January 8, 2000
Empires without States:
On notions of success and failure in contemporary art
Christoph Büchel, SUBWAY OUTSIDE, Komar and Melamid, Aleksandra Mir, relax,
Xposition
Curated by Annette Schindler

Events December

PANEL

The Center for Media, Culture and History at New York University and the
Swiss Institute

Invite you to

VIRTUALLY YOURS? Tuesday, December 7th, 1999 6-8 p.m. Swiss Institute, 495
Broadway
A discussion concerning the changing boundaries of culture in the face of
new media.
Co-sponsored by the Swiss Institute and The Center for Media, Culture and
History at New York University

In conjunction with the ongoing art project, Subway Outside, a collaborative
project by artists Jeanne van Heeswijk, Martin Lucas, and Hervé Paraponaris
including video cable-casts, discussions and an installation, at the Swiss
Institute, November 11, 1999 to January 8, 2000.

As new communication technologies come to the fore they offer new forms of
connection between artist, institution and audience - overturning and or
simply avoiding old hierarchies. At the same time, the communications
industry commodifies every aspect of life -- using these same new
technologies. How can we use the new tools of contemporary artistic
production to create an activist urban culture?

Panelists include:  Barbara Abrash - Associate Director, Center for Media,
Culture, and History at New York University and independent media maker
Paul Chan - Internet artist, Chicago Art Institute whose recent work
includes 'All Power to the People,' a live collaboration video mix based
on the Black Panther party for the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis Drazen
Pantic - Center for Peace, War and News Media at New York University.
Formerly of Radio B-92 Belgrade and founder of Open Net, the first
internet service provider in Serbia.

PANEL

CONSPIRACY NIGHT Tuesday, December 14th, 8 p.m. Swiss Institute, 495
Broadway

Aleksandra Mir will also host an evening program titled Conspiracy Night,
when her project will be approached and discussed from two different
aspects: by critics familiar with the history of performance art as well as
conspiracy theorists who claim that the moon landing 30 years ago was as
much a staged event as the one that occurred this past summer.
__________________
Swiss Institute is located at 495 Broadway, third floor, telephone: (212)
925-2035. www.swissinstitute.net
Subway-N, R to Prince Street, 6 to Spring Street. Wheelchair accessible.

For further press information, please contact Jackie McAllister, Exhibitions
Coordinator, Swiss Institute, at (212) 925-2035.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

                           European Media Art Festival
                                   Osnabrueck
                                 May 3.-7. 2000

                              http://www.emaf.de

//now/future: visions and models on new realities start to take shape.

>From 3-7 May 2000 the European Media Art Festival presents the variety of
innovative and experimental media art. The programmes will include productions
from internationally well known artists and from buzzing young talents that
stand out through imaginative ideas and their zest to create unconventional
images.

Exiting experiments and innovative aesthetic concepts offer us insight into the
//now/future: of film, video, performance, multimedia installation, CD-ROM, DVD
and the Internet.

The international film and video programme, the retrospective and the theme
specific programmes build the cinegraphic structure of the festival. The
Association of Film Journalists awards a prize for the best German experimental
work of the year. The International Student Forum presents productions made by
European colleges.

Exhibition 3-28. May
The art gallery Dominikanerkirche is the centre of events housing the Electronic
Lounge and the international exhibition of film, video and computer
installation. The gothic building is the ideal space to exhibit sculptures and
interactive systems.

The Lux Project
In co-operation with other partners EMAF 2000 organises projects and
installations about the central theme light. Indoor and outdoor works can be
submitted.

DVD-Sampler
EMAF plans the edition of a DVD-Sampler with art works that demonstrate the
interactive potential of the medium as part of a European pilot project of the
European Digital Network.

Congress
The festival's congress deals with vital questions about the way we see
ourselves culturally in a media orientated society. Last year the construction
of reality was the main topic, in 2000 the discussion focuses on the (re-)
presentation of the human body.

//now/ future
The media artists' credo is to recreate and shape our time in new ways using
toady's resources. To work on the energetic interfaces between art, technology
and science. And to develop innovative aesthetic ideas to help us find a way
through the real and virtual spaces of our media orientated society.

The European Media Art Festival offers an open forum and creates the context
within which art practice can be presented and discussed in public.

You are kindly invited to participate with your work and projects.

Please visit: http://www.emaf.de
for application forms and the regulations.
Concept and festival board:

Alfred Rotert
Hermann Noering
Ralf Sausmikat
EMAF is supported by:

Ministerium für Wissenschaft und Kultur, Hannover
Stadt Osnabrueck
Auswärtiges Amt, Berlin
Bundesministerium für Bildung und Wissenschaft, Bonn
EU Commission, Brussels
British Council
and
contributions made by other supporters

European Media Art Festival
PO Box 1861
Lohstr.45A
D- 49074 Osnabrueck

T:+49/541/25779
F:+49/541/28327
E: info@emaf.de
http://www.emaf.de

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

AUDIOPHFILE v.2.0

The second version of AUDIOPHFILE, a bimonthly experimental sound exhibition
organized by NOMADS, is now on-line at <http://www.nomadnet.org>

v.2.0 features work by Nina Martinek (Washington, DC), Susan Phillipsz
(Belfast, N. Ireland) and Andrew Deutsch (Alfred, NY).

AUDIOPHFILE requires the Flash 4.0 player and a java-enabled browser. As
always, we recommend the use of headphones or speakers for the best
listening experience.

AUDIOPHFILE is funded, in part, by the DC Commission on the Arts and
Humanities and the National Endowment for the Arts.

--
Laura McGough
Co-Director, NOMADS

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

Dear friends and colleagues,

the German National Research Center for Information Technology - GMD - is
organizing together with the Italian Embassy and the SFG
Wissenschaftsfestival Bonn on December 10/11/12, 1999 the SYMPOSIUM :
MEMORIA FUTURA - Cultural Heritage and Information Technology: a new
perspective?

Information technology has proven itself to be of value but what concept of
culture will develop out of the interweaving of history and New Media? What
can art and culture contribute to it and what relevance does it have for
society? The aim of the event is to discover answers to these questions.

FRIDAY the symposium starts at 4:30 pm and ends at 6:30 pm with an
reception at the Istituto Italiano di Cultura, Universitaetsstrasse 81,
50931 Koeln, Germany. The italian ambassador, Enzo Perlot and the president
of GMD, Dennis Tsichritzis open the event. The introduction in the topic
will be given by Vito di Bari, UNESCO, Paris and Regina Wyrwoll, Goethe
Institut, Muenchen.

SATURDAY the 11th of December 1999 at GMD, Schloss Birlinghoven from 2 pm
to 8 pm:
Artists, researchers and curators will discuss the relationship between
Art, Culture and Technology in Germany and in Italy and new tools for
museum and audience. How do networks, connectivity and new instruments
influence artistic works and processes - in urban space and on the Mixed
Reality stage? How is IT research influenced by working in
interdisciplinary groups with computer scientists, artists and cultural
theorists.

Amongst others MEMORIA FUTURA is presenting results of 3 european i3
projects - eRENA, HIPS, COMRIS - and the BMBF funded CAT - communication,
art & technology network.

SUNDAY the 12th at GMD, Schloss Birlinghoven from 2 pm to 8 pm:
Internationally renowned experts from art, culture, medicine and
information technology will talk about MEMORIA FUTURA in the next century
with respect to the past and the present.. Speakers are amongst others Nadia
Magnenat-Thalmann, Christina von Braun, Derrick de Kerckhove, Joseph
Weizenbaum.

MEMORIA FUTURA - On-line Internet event

A group of invited experts will join the symposium via Internet as part of
an experiment in researching models for integration of different media for
cultural events for the broad public. Audio & video of the panel taking
part at the physical location of the symposium are streamed to Internet
participants using G2 real server & players.

This event is one of the first activities of the recently started CAT -
Communication, Art and Technology Network project
<http://imk.gmd.de/mars/cat> that is supported by the German Ministry of
Research and Education. Its aim is to further the development of "media
culture" by providing an "infrastructure" for linking independent media
artists with research labs and educational institutions, as well as with
TIME-industries.

MEMORIA FUTURA - European satellite transmission

With the support of EUTELSAT (http://www.eutelsat.com) and GMD NetSat group
(http://sat.gmd.de/) the event is broadcasted live across Europe. Video and
bilingual audio signals are transmitted from GMD - the German National
Research Center for Information Technology to EUTELSAT Paris to be
distributed via satellite. Memoria Futura is one of the first european
events linking cultural practice and cultural policy with information
technology. National borders are transcended for cultural exchange and
participation by the support of satellites.

More info on the symposium program:
http://imk.gmd.de/mars/cat/memoria

We like to invite you to this Symposium and hope to see you there.
Monika Fleischmann

INFO & REGISTRATION:
Christine Harms
GMD - Forschungszentrum Informationstechnik
Schloss Birlinghoven
53754 Sankt Augustin
Tel: 02241 - 14 2473
e-Mail: christine.harms@gmd.de
http://www.sfg.de/wissenschaft/wissenschaftsfestival/anmeld_12_12.html

TICKETS ON SUNDAY:
DM 20 / DM 10 (Students)

LOCATION: GMD - Schloss Birlinghoven
http://www.gmd.de/de/gmd/weg-schloss.html

Head of MARS - Media Arts & Research Studies, Institute for Media Communication
GMD - German National Research Center for Information Technology
Schloss Birlinghoven, D-53754 Sankt Augustin, http://imk.gmd.de/mars
email: fleischmann@gmd.de, tel: x49-2241-142809, assist:-142211, fax:-142449

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

open source , proxy (server)
on netart conditions

how open is open
and how authoritative is proxy?
formless in a form; superuser behind the scenes;
does netart bear the imprint of a distributed system?
netart as a collaborative, yet self-propagating model;
setting standards or disseminating rules?

questions/answers/questions

continue the discussion that inspired many netart
enthusiasts from last year’s panel entitled
Connectivity and Beyond. we get together again
to further our debate on the condition of netart today —
with an introduction to the netart initiative, an open project in the
making.

panelists:
tamas banovich  curator of multimedia, Postmasters Gallery
steve dietz  director, New Media Initiative, Walker Art Center - remote
ricardo dominguez  senior editor of Thing.net, co-founder of the
Electronic Disturbance Theater
jon ippolito  artist, assistant curator of new media, Guggenheim Museum
sven travis  chair, Digital Design Department, Parsons School of Design
martha wilson  founding director, Franklin Furnace
maciej wisniewski  artist, creator of Netomat: the anti-browser

moderated by zhang ga  artist, faculty, MFADT Parsons, CGIM Pratt

admission is free
3:30pm december 13, 1999
swayduck auditorium
65 fifth avenue
between 13th and 14th
webcasting@
http://netart.parsons.edu

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

<please forward it>

Submit and/or Suggest links of Mediterranean and Balkan region you find
interesting
One filter only = related to art and to free expression and no commercial
commissioned
(We have to enlarge and reinforce our communication )
sharing ideas speed up our concepts

Call for submissions and suggestions for Mediterranean and Balkan net activities

Call for submission and/or suggestion of net-based art-works, art-actions,
net-projects and net-communications. The submissions will form an attempt, for
the compilation of a “map of activities and works” of the Mediterranean and
Balkan region.
The submitted addresses will take part to the Mediaterra festival (Athens 10,
11, 12 of Dec. 99) in the out-of-competition section. The days of the Mediaterra
festival could be a provisional deadline time key to present the map of
net-based art-works and activities of the Mediterranean and Balkan region.
The aim of the call, is the realization of a map of artistic works and
intentions of the Mediterranean and Balkan area.
It is an attempt to form an approximate view of the complex artistic image of
this area. How is configured by the local artistic intentions, will and feelings
toward the international net-space. What will emerge out of the submitted
artistic works? well expressed cultural differences or unavoidable
net-homogeneity?
The creators of the works must come from the Mediterranean and Balkan countries.
The works can be located anywhere in the net.
It is clear that works related to the net space, in local languages, or “bad
English” are welcome.
Commercial commissioned works and communications will be excluded.

 (Deadline for submissions is 7 of December 99)

Please, feel free to submit and suggest addresses
contact: addfield@ath.forthnet.gr

Mediaterra.festival / net.section / competition-participants:
URL http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/addfield/webmed
Mediaterra.festival info :
URL http://www.fournos-culture.gr/festival/1999/index.html

The <fournos-culture>[mailing list]:
and in the body (not to the subject) of the e-mail write :
subscribe fournos-culture

Or go to http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/addfield/webmed/
to the link <fournos-C> for info.

dd

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

Station Rose/STReaming  WEBCAST Fahrplan____ No. 89-91

Dear Gunafa Netizen!

here is the new Station Rose webcast-Fahrplan.

(A) Webcast FAHRPLAN :

Webcast 89, december 3rd: Station Rose rehearsing in realtime for live
performance at ULTRASCHALL in munich.

Webcast 90, december 10th: freeform  hypermedia jamsession incl. cry baby &
boss VT-1 .

Webcast 91, december 11th: freeform hypermedia jamsession incl. firewire,
cry baby & boss VT-1.

Every Thursday and Friday 9 p.m. CET at http://www.stationrose.com

(B) Station Rose <Playing Now World Tour> : live at ULTRASCHALL, D-81671
Munich, Grafinger Strasse 6, Saturday December 4th, with DJ aNDreas
baumecker. <http://www.ultraschall.com>
evening: ARE YOU REALLY SATISFIED NOW ?
                       area II

                        live STATION ROSE gunafa ffm
                        DJ A. BAUMECKER gunafa ffm
                        DJ ERDEM TUNAKAN cheap, morbid, disko b wien

next stop  <Playing Now World Tour> PARIS 23.12.99

looking forward to see you online !

C) Station Rose webcasting is part of *net.radio day 99 - 2.000 years of
net.radio.*

premiere & exception: FOR THE FIRST TIME Station Rose archived a live
webcast- No.88 - for this project.
we shall soon put the file on our website as well.

net.radio day 99 is part of theLounge at net_condition
(http://on1.zkm.de/netCondition.root/netcondition/thelounge), a series of
events and programs taking place at zkm karlsruhe, germany.

;-)

Station Rose_Info:
Elisa Rose & Gary Danner see the hypermedia art of Station Rose as a new
development  succeeding techno, where the artist/musician will create not
only music/art, but various forms of audiovisual content, and performs at
diverse locations (festivals, galleries and museums, underground and the
internet) and produces in several media (vinyl, CD, CD ROM, video, DVD,
internet, book etc.). Station Rose perform as a multimedia band since 1988,
having played at Ars Electronica, Transmediale, Viper, Museum Ludwig,
Cyberthon, XS & SpacePlace club, the museum of applied arts in Vienna, to
name a few.
The actual "STReaming_Gunafa_99_Schedule" & the tour-dates can be found at
www.stationrose.com.
STR is one of the 1st web_stations in germany/europe, sending Art on a
regular basis. Important: as the sessions are realtime multimedia art, they
are not archived. be there in time!
STR is one of the 1st multimedia bands in the world and is online since 91.