nettime_announcer on Tue, 7 Dec 1999 19:06:25 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> announcer 99.49 [a]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
                                                                   | 9 9 . 4 9 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a <<

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  b

                                                                         - - - -
               Chris Drew <cdrew#@orion.it.luc.edu> : ART-ACT Notes 12   | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
         Richard Barbrook <richard@hrc.wmin.ac.uk> : sci-fi cybersalon   | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
                 re.bot <restate@restate.org> : Detonators by re.state   | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
  Eugene Thacker <maldoror@eden.rutgers.edu> : BODY MODIFICATION Issue   | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
                            intima <atom@intima.org> : BREAK 21 - Call   | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
               Mouchette <mouchette@mouchette.org> : Another Mouchette   | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
Robert Atkins <robertatkins@earthlink.net> : AIDS-Arts Journal & Forum   | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
 Bruce Sterling <bruces@well.com> : new theory publication (bilingual)   | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -
 Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns@vt.edu> : Association of Internet Researchers   | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -
                 Simon Pope <EscapeCommittee@compuserve.com> : ice@ica   | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

ART-ACT 12 for Net-Timers
Art that serves communities and which invites your comments at
http://www.art-teez.org/ara_art1.htm

Check out ART-ACT's latest submission. Charlene Teters t-shirt art
submission speaks about the irresponsible use of racist mascots by sport
teams to incite competitive spirit. This common practice in the U.S.A
accentuates stereotypes and legitimizes them. See "Mis-Education" at
http://www.art-teez.org/artists/ct1.htm

BUILDING AN ON-LINE VOLUNTEER CREW
How does a small community art center promote an Internet art contest and
exhibit on the Internet? This mailing is one of the ways we do it. Our
volunteer program is another way. Volunteers are beginning to sign-up two
or three a week. I see this developing into a major resource. It is our key
to a "sensation".

Art has a place in our communities and the Internet is composed of
communities. Our
goal is to create a strong community around the related issues of diversity
and anti-racism using the art as a magnet.

Help build an Internet Community against Racism. Volunteer one hour a week.
To read about the HELP we need - Click
http://www.art-teez.org/help_ara.htm

COLOR ART INVITED (for exhibit only)
Extending ART-ACT to be an exhibit, we now allow an artist to exhibit a
pro-diversity or anti-racist image in color if it is a GIF or JPEG file
under 100 Kb. This policy development was influenced by the ART-ACT image
this
ART-ACT Notes announces. However, only the black and white line copy images
can be eligible for the contest. This gives artists a way to show a wider
variety of work that fights hate then previously allowed.

BUILDING MINI-MAIL LISTS UNDER ART WORKS
We will begin a local action passing out printouts of our ART-ACT images to
get comments we can post below our sites art to help site visitors feel
comfortable commenting by e-mail. Our goal is an active discussion over
these images. Step by step, we are evolving our interactive on-line
contest/exhibit concept. When this contest is over the site segment will
continue to act promote the art submitted and fight for diversity
sensitivity on the Internet.

Speakout on ART-ACT images and win a free t-shirt from our "Screen Print
Workshop for Artists." A free t-shirt to the first and twenty-first
commentator on
artwork in our ART-ACT exhibit. Just click on COMMENTS below any image in
ART-ACT and send us your thoughts.

Thanks for reading of us as we grow.

Chris Drew       <mailto:umcac@art-teez.org>
Uptown Multi-Cultural Art Center
http://www.art-teez.org   We dress Chicago and the
Internet in t-shirt art.  Come get some! 773/561-7676

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

science fiction cybersalon
<www.cybersalon.org>

tuesday december 14, 6..30 'till late
venue: the deep end
university of westminster,
309 regent street

cybersalon is a meeting place for people from the new media and music industry

verso books will be launching
alien zone ii: the spaces of science fiction cinema

sci-fi dress welcomed but not essential

cost: free before 7pm, Ł2 after

part one:

science fiction: the future in the present

"Rooted as they are in the facts of contemporary life, the fantasies of even
a second-rate writer of modern science fiction are incomparably richer,
bolder and stranger than the utopian and millennial imaginings of the past"
Aldous Huxley

speakers:

pat cadigan - science fiction author and futurist
<www.wmin.ac.uk/~fowlerc/patcadigan.html>

catherine constable - post-modern film theorist. alien zone II
<www.versobooks.com>

jonathan clements - editor of manga max
<uk.scifi.com/anime/anime_frame.html>

part two:

wildlife records presents:

jnrtv - live generative music performance
<www.strangeattraction.com>

ben james  ray stanley - wildlife DJ mayhem

sponsored by:
hypermedia research centre: <www.hrc.wmin.ac.uk>
new media knowledge: <www.nmk.co.uk>
wildlife: <wildliferecords@yahoo.com>
mute: <www.metamute.com>
telepolis: <www.heise.de/tp>
tmg: <www.tmg.co.uk>
verso: <www.versobooks.com>

visuals: alex chandon (shapeshifting-films)/jamie troy
design: torch industries: <paul.chamberlain5@virgin.net>

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

>nieuwez netz+irl-kunztprojekt__at__http://www.restate.org
>____
>_____________ some uszlesz korporat advert\zement maskerading
>| az kontent .___________- + -_______________________
>|\
>//\ re.state werking in de underground
>/// Detonators
>\| durazion:19_11_99 >> 24_12_99 ____________________________________
>_________________________________
>

>_ <re.state | www.restate.org> _____________
>

>________________________.. .
>________________.. .
>diz e-mail iz sponzored by:
>
>Radikal Entertainment
>Initiatif for mehr Echtzeit (INFOMECH)
>Radikal Research
>Senden Netverk
><<<->>>
>
>thankx for making all diz pozzibl!
>_ _ _ _ _ ____
>

>*!nTrO
>+!nTro
>*!nTrO                                        _____________________________
>      ________________________ ____  ___ ___ ___   _
>+!nTro
>*!nTrO
>+!nTro         _________>>
>

>re.state | konztrukz situazionz which dizrupt de ordinary und normal in
>order to jolt people out of their kuztomary wayz of thinking und akting.
>
>re.state | rebellz againzt de framewerk of preeztablished konformizm.
>
>re.state | subverzif. dizruptif. intruzif.
>
>_-^-_
>[      ]
>
>                            _________________________________
>
><INIT TRANZMIZZION>
>
>!allo !allo !allo
>
>De following netz+irl_ereigniz will take plaiz:
>
>- - - >  _>> re.zizting ignorant kultur
>
>- - - >  _>> Radikal Entertainment presents:
>
>Detonators - 100% Explosion Proof!
>
>Plaiz: http://www.restate.org
>
>Durazion: 19z of November to 24z of Dezember (klimakx_of_konzum)
>

>Online Sale!
>|

>YOU CAN BUY Y0UR 0WN 0NE!
>
>Um zahlreiche erscheinen werden gebeten!
>___
>_____
>________
>_____________
>

>re.state | feeding spektakel societee
>
>_____________________________________
>
>diz e-mail iz sponzored by:
>
>Radikal Entertainment
>Initiatif for mehr Echtzeit (INFOMECH)
>Radikal Research
>Senden Netverk
><<<->>>
>_____________
>
>thankx.
>merzi.
>tak.
>danke.
>kansha.
>dank.

>more saccadik verrukking to kome in de futur!!
>__________
>
>contakt: contakt@restate.org
>

>__>|
>
><END OF TRANZMIZZION>

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

BODY MODIFICATION

Body & Society Special Issue [vol.5, no.2-3]

Edited by Mike Featherstone

http://tcs.ntu.ac.uk/journals/body.html

Contents:

Mike Featherstone [Body Modification: An Introduction]

Christian Klesse ['Modern Primitivism': Non-Mainstream Body Modification
and Racialized Representation]

Bryan S. Turner [The Possibility of Primitiveness: Towards a Sociology
of Body Marks in Cool Societies]

Paul Sweetman [Anchoring the (Postmodern) Self? Body Modification,
Fashion, and Identity]

Margit Shildrick [This Body Which Is Not One: Dealing with Differences]

Nicholas Zurbrugg [Marinetti, Chopin, Stelarc and the Auratic
Intensities of the Postmodern Techno-Body]

Stelarc [Parasite Visions: Alternate, Intimate and Involuntary Experiences]

Ross Farnell [In Dialogue with 'Posthuman' Bodies: Interview with Stelarc]

Jane Goodall [An Order of Pure Decision: Un-Natural Selection in the
Work of Stelarc and Orlan]

Robert Ayers [Serene and Happy and Distant: An Interview with Orlan]

Julie Clarke [The Sacrificial Body of Orlan]

Roy Boyne [Citation and Subjectivity: Towards a Return of the Embodied Will]

Roberta Sassatelli [Interaction Order and Beyond: A Field Analysis of
Body Culture within Fitness Gyms]

Neal Curtis [The Body as Outlaw: Lyotard, Kafka and the Visible Human Project]

Lee Monaghan [Creating 'The Perfect Body': A Variable Project]

Victoria Pitts [Body Modification, Self-Mutilation and Agency in Media
Accounts of a Subculture]

Kevin McCarron [Tattoos and Heroin: A Literary Approach]

Eugene Thacker [Performing the Technoscientific Body: RealVideo Surgery
and the Anatomy Theater]

Body & Society was launched in 1995 to cater for the upsurge of interest
in the social and cultural analysis of the human body that has taken
place in recent years. Its editors are Mike Featherstone and Bryan S Turner.

Body & Society centrally concerns itself with debates in feminism,
technology, ecology, postmodernism, medicine, ethics and consumerism
which take the body as the central analytic issue in the questioning of
established paradigms.

The journal examines the extensive range of issue that have emerged from
these debates by engaging with the contributions of writers such as:
Jean Baudrillard, Pierre Bourdieu, Judith Butler, Helene Cixous,
Deleuze/Guattari, Mary Douglas, Norbert Elias, Michel Foucault, Donna
Haraway, Julia Kristeva, Marcel Mauss, Maurice Merleau-Ponty and others.

The journal is dedicated to the publication of contemporary empirical
and theoretical work from a wide range of disciplines, including
anthropology; art history; communication; cultural history; cultural
studies; feminism; film studies; health studies; leisure studies;
medical history; philosophy; psychology; religious studies; sociology;
and sports studies.

The Theory, Culture & Society Centre
Faculty of Humanities
The Nottingham Trent University, Clifton Lane
Nottingham NG11 8NS, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)115 848 6330 / Fax: +44 (0)115 848 6331
E-mail: tcs@ntu.ac.uk
Web: http://tcs.ntu.ac.uk
sssss

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

BREAK 21
-----------
IV international festival of independent young artists, Ljubljana 10-17 May
2000

INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE
- invitation is open from 25 November 1999 to 1 February 2000
- selection will be made by 20 February 1999
- any material sent to the organiser's address before the closing date will
be taken into consideration for selection
- any incomplete application or an application received later than the
closing date will be rejected
- applicants will be notified of the selection by 5 March 2000
- artists selected to participate at the festival will be refunded travel
expenses, three overnight stays and three meals a day
- artists will not receive any payment
- rejected applications will be returned to the sender together with enclosed
material two weeks after the selection has been made
- age limit: authors must be old less than 30 years

APPLICATION FORM
- part one: GENERAL INFORMATION
- part two (by sections): PRESENTATION MATERIAL

PART ONE: GENERAL INFORMATION
1. Section for which you apply
2. Surname and name of head of the project
3. Address (street, town, and country)
4. Telephone, fax, e-mail
5. Date of birth
6. Other people collaborating on the project
7. Where did you learn of this invitation to participate at the festival?
8. Curriculum vitae (education, scholarships, executed projects, awards,
other)
9. Home page

Data under points 1 to 7 should be presented on a single sheet of paper,
A4 format; the same applies for C.V. (point 8).
For any further information please contact:

address:
SOU KULTURA
VDOR 21 / BREAK 21, www.break21.com
KERSNIKOVA 4
1000 LJUBLJANA
SLOVENIA

tel = ++ 386 061/ 1317 010 extension 226
fax = ++ 386 061/ 319 448 (subject: Vdor 21 / Break 21)

Contact persons: Karla Zeleznik and Jozko Rutar
e-mail: karla.zeleznik@kiss.uni-lj.si
        jozko.rutar@kiss.uni-lj.si

* COMICS

SUBJECT: THE FORBIDDEN

SELECTION:
selected works will be presented at an exhibition organised by the festival
and published in a comics book
selection will be made by Igor Prassel

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
a four-page long comic strip on A4 format drawn in black and white and
written in English; please do not send the originals

* VISUAL ARTS

SUBJECT: LIGHT

How do we perceive light?
We will accept artworks designed in any field of visual arts, giving special
attention to the treatment of the senses, including the sixth one.

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
description of the artwork: a sketch, precise measures, subject matter or
concept envisaged location (inside or outside)
specification of the field of visual arts: painting, sculpture, photography,
print art, installation, video; artworks may be designed in the field of
multimedia (audio, tactile…) technical requirements: specify material and
tools required to execute the artwork; if your artwork is a complex one,
please notify how much time is required to put it up

* INTERNET ART

SUBJECT: LIGHT

Light as a metaphor of the non-physical character of virtual objects: visual,
aural, textual, tactile, tactic. ...

- ARTWORKS THAT ARE INTERNET-SPECIFIC
The application must contain:
- URL (please send URL to shareartware@netscape.net, specify subject
as: Vdor21/Break21)
- a short description of the concept
- technical requirements (PC-MAC, browser, plug-ins, sound bluster,
loudspeakers, etc)

- ARTWORKS THAT ARE BASED ON THE INTERNET (e.g. an installation
including elements related to the internet, CDR, ...)
The application must contain:
- URL (please send URL to shareartware@netscape.net, specify subject
as: Vdor21/Break21)
- a short description of the concept
- technical requirements (PC-MAC, browser, plug-ins, sound bluster,
loudspeakers, etc)
- additional requirements, technical and other

SELECTION
selection will be made by Mojca Janzelj and Natasa Petresin – visual arts;
Jaka Zeleznikar – internet art

* FASHION DESIGN

SUBJECT: WHAT ABOUT LOVE

A virtual or real world? Androgyny, incorporeity, sapphism, love over the
internet or going back to traditional values? Is love still possible in the
future, or in the present?

A/FASHION COLLECTION

SELECTION
selection will be based on the criteria of concept, innovation in material,
printed design, patterns and shapes, originality of the pieces 20 to 25
collections will be selected from the received applications selected
collections will be presented at a fashion show
fashion show will be organised by the festival, including lighting, music,
choreography, make-up, hair style
selection will be made by Petra Bole and Nataša Peršuh

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
a sketch in colour of each piece in the collection – the number of
collections should be limited to 1 to 2, and the number of pieces in each
collection to 1 to 6 – on A4 format, or photographs of finished pieces a
technical sketch of each piece a detailed description of material and
technique used in making the pieces and accessories (bags, hats,
jewellery, etc) a short description of the collection in 4 to 10 sentences

B/JEWELLERY
selection will be based on the criteria of shape, originality, concept and
selection of material 6 to 9 collections will be selected from the received
applications selected collections will be presented at a jewellery exhibition
the exhibition will be organised by the festival, including the arrangement,
lighting, etc. selection will be made by Petra Bole and Natasa Persuh

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
a sketch of each piece in the collection – 3 to 6 pieces of jewellery – on
A4 format, in 1:1 measure, or photographs of finished pieces
a short description of the collection in 4 to 10 sentences

PERFORMING ARTS

We aim to present performances created by young artists who do not
work under the auspices of a state art institution or an art academy. As
students, they are nevertheless allowed to present their projects
independently of these institutions.

SELECTION
in this section, the festival will present projects created in the field
theatre, dance, performance and mixed genres. The verbal component
should not be dominant because the festival is international.
the duration of a project is not limited, dance performances may contain
several short choreographies the organiser will, in line with its capacity,
enable the participants to show their projects in different parts of Slovenia
(Ptuj, Celje, Maribor, Nova Gorica, Novo mesto, Koper, and Izola)
participants of the festival will be able to take part in roundtables taking
place during the festival, which will bring together foreign and Slovenian
artists, as well as young theoreticians and critics
selection will be made by Amelia Kraigher and Andrej Jaklic

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
unedited video recording of the entire performance or its major part,
specifying the duration of the performance if the applicant comes from
abroad; local applicants are asked to inform the selectors when and
where the performance can be seen. The selectors will take into account
the specific characteristics of a live performance and video recording
when making the selection. other material such as reviews, leaflets,
photographs, etc that can be used in making the selection and the
catalogue of the festival technical requirements of setting-up the
performance audio-visual requirements of setting-up the performance
stage and spatial requirements of your performance: dimensions of the
stage, an ambient set-up, specific requirements of the scene, etc
number of people participating in the project, specifying functions they
have in the project

* MUSIC

We aim to present innovative, non-conventional, creative and experimental
groups, and individuals working within or outside the established music
genres whose specific individual poetics surpasses the established and
predictable aesthetic criteria of the music market and music institutions.

SELECTION
we expect a wide range of genres, known or new at the end of the
century, as well as their fusion, characterised by a young and fresh spirit
of its authors we welcome projects that combine music with other artistic
media (film, video, theatre, etc)
we welcome applicants whose music could be used as soundtrack in other
sections of the festival: fashion shows, visual art exhibitions, etc)

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
a studio or demo tape of the latest album at least 40 minutes long
VHS recording of a concert (theatre play or performance)
technical requirements concerning sound and lighting, other equipment
that needs to be provided by the organiser
description of a place suitable to perform a concert (size of the stage,
acoustics, etc) promotional material: description of the group's work, its
members, photographs, logo, reviews published in magazines, etc
an outline programme of the concert (play or performance) to be shown
at the festival selection will be made by Helena Bozic, Peter Kus and Boris
Veler

* FILM

We welcome films of any format, length, or subject matter. Films may be
acted, documentary, experimental, or animated. Video art will not be
included in the selection. We would like to invite established young artists
as well as unknown ones. We will select authors that stand out for their
non-conventionality, impact, critical view, ingenuity, etc.

SELECTION
selection will be made by Igor Prassel – animation film; Ursa Cerv and
Sabina Dogic     – other films

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
a copy of the film on VHS; if the film is selected, we will require a 35mm or
16mm copy, or a copy in beta format
technical data on production and the original format of the film
information on the author and collaborators
some information on how and why the film was made
a short description of the story
photograph/s taken on the scene of the shooting or scenes from the film
photocopies of published reviews

                                                                         - - - -

You must have noticed how clean and tidy my new site looked like. I threw some
old pages away, and fixed all the rest.
It's still the same site, but slightly changed.
Just like me. I became different.
I'm a clone of myself, said someone.
Or maybe there are several Mouchette going around, I'm just another one of them

And I also made something new: a portrait of my cat
http://www.mouchette.org/cat/
I hope you will love him as much as I do.
--
*bisou*
Mouchette

http://mouchette.org

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

Artery: The AIDS-Arts Journal & Forum

 Edited by Robert Atkins
 Launching December 1, 1999
 www.artistwithaids.org

 The Estate Project for Artists with AIDS (a project of the Alliance for
the  Arts) is a national organization committed to preserving artworks
created during  the AIDS crisis so that they can be used by curators and
historians to provide a  subjective view of this time of crisis. In
December of 1998, the Estate Project  worked with partner organizations
such as Visual AIDS, Visual AIDS Boston,  Visual Aid San Francisco and the
LA Gay and Lesbian Center to launch an  extraordinary website at
<http://www.artistswithaids.org> www.artistswithaids.org. The website and
its  Virtual Collection were an excellent first step towards centralizing
important information and images.

Now, with the creation of Artery: The  AIDS-Arts Forum - an on-line journal
and forum produce by critic and activist Robert  Atkins -
<http://www.artistswithaids.org/> www.artistswithaids.org marks another
important step forward. The thousands of images  available for viewing in
the Virtual Collection, for example, are purposely not  curated. However,
we do feel that it is  necessary to bring critical voices and
interpretation to this site both to  discuss specific artworks you might
see and to illuminate the larger issues that  surround them. To that end,
the Estate Project asked Robert Atkins to create an  on-line journal and
forum to enlarge the discussion surrounding art and AIDS  while building a
sense of community amongst those using the site.

Artery's premiere issue contains an Artist in the Archives interview  with
Gregg Bordewitz - a videomaker and activist who is involved in the Estate
Project AIDS Activist Video Preservation Program. Other features include a
moderated Dialogue entitled "Plays, Lies and Ticket Sales,"
playwright/screenwriter Craig Lucas's and novelist/playwright Sarah
Schulman's  lively discussion about AIDS and theatre between (moderated by
Michael Bronski);  an online Symposium about the current states of
AIDS-arts by Chris Dohse  (dance), Stephen Holden (television and film),
Eileen Myles (literature) and  Nancy Princenthal (visual arts); and an
illustrated Feature by Robert Atkins, "Off the Wall: AIDS and Public Art."

In typical, online fashion,  "Artery" is being launched in process. Not all
of the interactive features or  planned editorial resources have been
developed yet. In the near-future, expect  to see book reviews,
photo-essays and community projects, a  timeline of two decades' of
AIDS-arts, as well as more of what's available  now.  We hope that you will
come back to the site in 2000 for both new  issues of Artery as well as new
operating software allowing the Virtual  Collection to accommodate a
greater range of viewers.

Robert Atkins is an art historian and writer who has been an  innovator in
the areas of both digital culture and AIDS activism. Currently,  Atkins is
a research fellow at Carnegie-Mellon's Studio for Creative Inquiry and  art
editor of the Media Channel <www.mediachannel.org>. In 1995, he created
TalkBack! A Forum for  Critical Inquiry, the first American online journal
exclusively about online art, and from 1996-98, served as editor-in-chief
of the Arts, Technology, Entertainment  Network, a New York Times Company
start up producing arts programming for  television and the Internet. Since
the beginning of the epidemic, Atkins has  written widely about AIDS and in
1990 co-curated, "From Media to Metaphor: Art  About AIDS," the first
travelling museum exhibition surveying art about AIDS. He  was also one of
the four founders of Visual AIDS, the ten-year-old New  York-based
non-profit responsible for the annual Day Without Art, and many other
educational activities.

Artery was produced by a team from Luna Imaging led by Ryan  Chute.

Robert Atkins

voice: 212.662.2961
fax:   212.222.4524
email: robertatkins@earthlink.net

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

Subject: METAL AND FLESH: THE DIGITAL ANAMORPHOSIS OF THE UNIVERSE
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:56:00 PST

METAL AND FLESH: THE DIGITAL ANAMORPHOSIS OF THE UNIVERSE
(Chair et Mital: L'Anamorphose numirique de l'univers)

http://www.metalandflesh.com
http://www.chairetmetal.com

Metal and Flesh is a new electronic and interactive journal that examines
the human condition in the digital age. Through essays, interactive work of
arts and, virtual reality, Metal and Flesh aims at defining the
human-machine society.

Bruce Sterling, John Perry Barlow, Christopher Langton, Arthur and
Marilouise Kroker, Joel de Rosnay, Philippe Quiau, Catherine Ikam., Pierre
Livy, Gareth Branwyn, Rudy Rucker and Roger Malina are some of the members
of its international advisory board.

IN THIS FIRST ISSUE OF METAL AND FLESH

Noam Chomsky:           Power in the Global Arena
Bruce Sterling:         The Life and Death of Media
Alexandre Leupin:       The End of Sex (La Fin du sexe)
Philippe Quiau:         La Prisence de l'esprit
Ollivier Dyens:         The Technological Reality (The Technological
                        Reality)
Jokl de Rosnay:         Biologie et informatique: les perspectives
               de la biotique
Pierre Livy:            The Virtual Economy (L'Iconomie virtuelle)
Michel Larouche:        Les Images de synthhse et la contamination
         de l'analogique
Steve Jones             The Un-Wired Wired
Hervi Fisher            Une Bataille gagnie! Et aprhs?
Robert Logan:           The Extended Mind: Understanding Language and
                        Thoughts in Terms of Complexity and
        Chaos Theory
Paul Levinson           The First Circuit Judge (Le Juge du 1er
    circuit)
Nicolas Reeves          Penser le virtuel

http://www.chairetmetal.com/textes.htm (without Flash)
http://www.chairetmetal.com/textes2.htm (with Flash)

EVENT HORIZON: THE METAL AND FLESH GALLERY
http://www.chairetmetal.com/ehorizon.htm
with Shockwave, Flash and VRML

POEMS BY EDOUARD GLISSANT
http://www.chairetmetal.com/pento55.htm

SUBSCRIBE TO METAL AND FLESH (it's free)
http://www.chairetmetal.com/abonne3.htm

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

CALL FOR PAPERS

INTERNET RESEARCH 1.0: THE STATE OF THE INTERDISCIPLINE
FIRST ANNUAL CONFERENCE of the ASSOCIATION OF INTERNET RESEARCHERS
UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS, LAWRENCE KS, USA
SEPTEMBER 14-17,2000
Conference Website: http://www.cddc.vt.edu/aoir/

The growth of the Internet is one of the greatest cultural phenomena of
our time, impacting almost all areas of life. It is crucial to build
knowledge about the Internet's socio-cultural dimensions. Despite great
interest, knowledge-building in Internet research is hindered by a lack of
international, centralized opportunities for scholars from different
disciplines to interact. This international conference, the first meeting
of the Association of Internet Researchers, will focus on the Internet as
a distinct interdisciplinary field for research. It will bring together
prominent scholars, researchers, and students from multiple disciplines
for keynote addresses, paper presentations, formal and informal discussions.

The Association of Internet Researchers (A.(o).I.R.) invites submissions
of between 150 and 250 words on all topics that address any social,
cultural, political, economic, or aesthetic aspects of the internet.  We
welcome submissions from any discipline and encourage international and
interdisciplinary work as well as submissions from those producing new
media or working in multimedia studies.

The deadline for submissions of paper/session proposals is 15 MARCH, 2000.

KEYNOTE PRESENTATIONS
(More to be announced in the next few months.)

Helen Nissenbaum
Research Associate and Lecturer at the University Center for Human Values
at Princeton University and founding editor of the international journal,
Ethics and Information Technology.

Rob Kling
Professor of Information Systems and Information Science at Indiana
University at Bloomington. He is the editor of Computerization and
Controversy: Value Conflicts and Social Choices, and editor-in-chief of
the international journal The Information Society.

Susan Herring
Associate Professor of Linguistics at the University of Texas at
Arlington. Her recent edited collections include Computer-Mediated
Communication: Linguistic, Social, and Cross-Cultural Perspectives and
Computer-Mediated Discourse Analysis.

FORMAT OF PROPOSALS

All proposals should be submitted electronically at:
http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/confman/
Average time allotted for a panel will be 1 hour and 30 minutes, including
discussion time.
Average time allotted for a paper or presentation will be 15 minutes.
If these time constraints are not appropriate for your panel/presentation,
please include that in your abstract.
Please include any equipment or special considerations that might affect
your presentation.
Proposals can be of three types.

PAPERS
Proposals for papers :150-250 word abstract.

CREATIVE PRESENTATIONS/DEMONSTRATIONS
Creative presentations (surprise us!)  and Internet-related project
demonstrations (including
digital art) are encouraged. The format for these proposals are the same
as those for regular
papers.

PANELS
Panels will generally include three to four papers or presentations. The
session organizer should submit a 150-250 word statement describing the
session topic, include abstracts of up to 100 words for each paper or
presentation, and indicate that each author is willing to participate in
the session. Presenters should plan on using around half of the panels'
time for presentation, and the rest of the time for discussion of the
issues raised by these papers.

GRADUATE STUDENTS

Graduate students are highly encouraged to submit proposals. They should
note their student status with submission for consideration of a special
Student Award. The winner of the Student Award will have conference fees
waived.

FORMAT OF SUBMISSIONS

Submissions will be accepted at http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/confman/
It is preferred that you use HTML to minimally format your paper .

Conference Coordinator: Nancy Baym, nbaym@ukans.edu
Program Chair: Jeremy Hunsinger, jhuns@vt.edu
A(O)IR President: Steve Jones, sjones@uic.edu

More Information can be found on the Conference Website:
Http://www.cddc.vt.edu/aoir

For more information about the Association of Internet Researchers visit
our website at http://aoir.org
_____________

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

ICE  CREAM FOR EVERYONE - The 'CRASH!' gig

+Saturday 11th December
1pm - 4pm

+Institute of Contemporary Art
The Mall
London
SW1

+ As part of Kate Glazer's 'Think-Tank' at 'Crash!', we'll be giving away
as much ice cream as we can in 3 hours. It's your ice cream. We want you to
have it back. It's ice cream for everyone!

+ Lowdown: http://bak.spc.org/ice

+ What they're saying:
"Very nice" Malcolm Mclaren
"Not very ICA" ICA's Production manager.
"What? In 10 minutes?" Kevin Rowland
"Not 'open source' ice cream; call it free" Richard Stallman

+ What we're saying:
 "They said it couldn't be done, but we've revived the lost recipe of
Wakefield's rightful ice cream generales, the "Greco Brothers".
Through careful study and months of reverse-engineering, we've managed to
piece together a taste from the recent past: from popular memory, the
peoples' ice cream; from before the days of dairy-glut and self-absorbed,
luxury frozen fondant; the meeting of Italian and British popular-cultures.
 Locally made with whole ingredients and no preservatives or stabilizers,
this ice cream defies the restrictive practices of corporate food empires,
releasing ice cream's potential to speak from many and varied cultural
contexts.
So far, it's been made only in small batches; a secret let slip, spoonful
by spoonful, to eager friends and family.
But now it's time to go public..."

+ CONTACT
Simon Pope & Mark Greco
mailto:ice@ice.spc.org